MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
smoker jayson
On the road to being a farker

Default How do I find.....

Amature contest to compete in? I've looked on the kcbs website and found nothing. My teammate an I decided we would like to hone our skills a little more before attempting a pro competition

Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used the kcbs site to find the pro events in my area then go to those event websites and look for the entry forms. Many/most time for me they have backyard forms there too and if they don't then there isn't a backyard event. Basically kcbs doesn't have a specific "amateur/backyard" section of the site so just dig further into each specific event.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Shotgun
Full Fledged Farker

A lot of states have their own BBQ associations that would more than likely have information on backyard contests as well as pro. Just google the state your are interested in cooking for BBQ societies or associations and you should come up with something. Good Luck!
Good One Marshall
WSM
Weber Kettle
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
ParkAvenue_2

There are a small number of unsanctioned contests that are listed in the contest calendar at this link.
ParkAvenue_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Contact the NBBQA to see who they have in your state/region. If I called them, they'd direct me to the state BBQA, who has a facebook page with unsanctioned events listed.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Meh, just jump in. It's a ton of fun, frustration, lack of sleep and did I mention fun?
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker jayson View Post
Amature contest to compete in? I've looked on the kcbs website and found nothing. My teammate an I decided we would like to hone our skills a little more before attempting a pro competition
There is a 2 meat (chicken and ribs) event in Downingtown, PA on August 4th. Bel Air MD has a backyard rib cookoff on Friday the 10th of August.
I think New Holland has a backyard division (August 24th)
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
smoker jayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Meh, just jump in. It's a ton of fun, frustration, lack of sleep and did I mention fun?
Oh I agree but it's also expensive

Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker jayson View Post
Oh I agree but it's also expensive
Many sanctioned contests allow you to enter just one or two categories. Depending on the sanctioning body (ala. KCBS), while you wont be competing for the overall Grand Champion, you are able to compete (and for money) in those that you want to enter.

This will allow you to keep costs modest, hone your skills, and hone them to/towards real competition.

I for one have seen two things that were a personal disappointment to me and those are:

1. Teams that compete in unsanctioned competitions and think they're honing their skills that get trounced badly in sanctioned comps and get very disappointed.

2. Teams that are very good and win unsanctioned comps and spend all that time and effort only to find out that they might've won the sanctioned competition IF they'd entered (and made a few bucks).

Compared to the cost of travel + meats + equipment + seasonings + all the other stuff, the entry fees are a smaller percentage.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

The Mid Atlantic BBQ Association website lists the events I referenced.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
smoker jayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Many sanctioned contests allow you to enter just one or two categories. Depending on the sanctioning body (ala. KCBS), while you wont be competing for the overall Grand Champion, you are able to compete (and for money) in those that you want to enter.

This will allow you to keep costs modest, hone your skills, and hone them to/towards real competition.

I for one have seen two things that were a personal disappointment to me and those are:

1. Teams that compete in unsanctioned competitions and think they're honing their skills that get trounced badly in sanctioned comps and get very disappointed.

2. Teams that are very good and win unsanctioned comps and spend all that time and effort only to find out that they might've won the sanctioned competition IF they'd entered (and made a few bucks).

Compared to the cost of travel + meats + equipment + seasonings + all the other stuff, the entry fees are a smaller percentage.

I fo sho want to stay within the kcbs sanctioned events so I came see the scoring and so on

Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
smoker jayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
The Mid Atlantic BBQ Association website lists the events I referenced.
Yeah I've looked into thoughts but I have work on the dates