MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont
Default Brinkmann Smoke N Grill (ECB) Modifications

A couple weeks ago I picked up a new Brinkmann Smoke N Grill (ECB) on Craig's List for next to nothing. I figured it would work great for short Que's orhors d'oeuvres. When I seasoned it the thing did okay for a while but then pooped out. Briquettes were buried in ash. So I did some research here, incorporating ideas from various posts. The biggest addition was the base of the unit. I purchased a Brinkmann Lava Rock Pan that is for an electric Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker, Part # 450-7010-0. Here's the link: http://cspoutdoors.com/relaropanfor.html I borrowed the charcoal grate from the Weber Smokey Joe. I'll have to get a replacement for it. Never know when you might need both.. Here are some pics showing the rest of the mods. I plan to give it a test run this weekend. I have no doubt it will work. I just may have to make a few tweaks. I'll post back with the results. Cheers!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1773.jpg (28.1 KB, 1663 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1774.jpg (68.3 KB, 1630 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1775.jpg (51.3 KB, 1618 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1776.jpg (72.0 KB, 1623 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1777.jpg (80.2 KB, 1613 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1778.jpg (80.7 KB, 1612 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1779.jpg (74.0 KB, 1607 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1780.jpg (47.9 KB, 1609 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1781.jpg (44.0 KB, 1611 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1782.jpg (31.6 KB, 1607 views)

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I'm on the verge of doing something similar. Father in law stumbled across a Brinkman @ a garage sale and gave it to me to tinker with. Did you use fiberglass rope your seal? If so, how did you get it to stick? I also read somewhere else that it tends to "shed" leaving threads on the food. Let me know how it goes. thanks!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitydisciple01 View Post
I'm on the verge of doing something similar. Father in law stumbled across a Brinkman @ a garage sale and gave it to me to tinker with. Did you use fiberglass rope your seal? If so, how did you get it to stick? I also read somewhere else that it tends to "shed" leaving threads on the food. Let me know how it goes. thanks!
I used something like this: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...rce=GoogleBase & used the adhesive that came with it. I sanded & cleaned the area with lacquer thinner before applying it, and I use the adhesive to "seal" the ends of the rope. So far I haven't seen any fibers floating around but thanks for the heads up!! Cheers!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
ATX21
Found some matches.

I have that same ECB i am going to do some mods to it the main one is putting the leg on tthe out side and using 1/2 threaded rods to lift the charcoal bowl in the chamber a foot of the ground i only found zinc coated rods and washers will it be safe to use for this ?
ATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks good.

I did similar mods to my charcoal pan and air intake. I didn't bother with the lid mod. I figured that I was going to be running it with the exhaust wide open, so it didn't matter where the exhaust was going. I was able to turn out some good BBQ with it. Held temps fairly solid.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Update: I fired up a chimney of briquettes last night ran it wide open for about a half an hour. Maxed at a little over 425F. Then I plugged the two 3/4" air intakes & the one 3/4" exhaust & throttled back the main air intake to almost closed. It held at 225F until the charcoal pooped out, about 3 hours total. I was a little surprised the factory gauge showed IDEAL at 425F. Pics below: Cheers!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1784.jpg (29.7 KB, 1500 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1785.jpg (38.5 KB, 1489 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1786.jpg (58.8 KB, 1489 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1787.jpg (48.7 KB, 1483 views)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Excellent work! They really can be good little smokers with the right tweaks.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
deguerre

Hmmmmm...and to think all I use my old one for is a rest stand for my chimney after I've lit it. Nice work!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
theflints01
Knows what a fatty is.

Why no pics of the food?
theflints01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflints01 View Post
Why no pics of the food?
Ahh yes. Food pics coming Soon. This was a maiden, dry run to season it & to get a feel for the performance. I'm sure the water & meat will have an impact but I'm pretty confident it will handle it with little issue. Cheers!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Great job on the mods Hamilton!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
BBQ_MAFIA

Very nice. My ECB just sits in the back yard.
I can't remember when I last used it.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
Update: I fired up a chimney of briquettes last night ran it wide open for about a half an hour. Maxed at a little over 425F. Then I plugged the two 3/4" air intakes & the one 3/4" exhaust & throttled back the main air intake to almost closed. It held at 225F until the charcoal pooped out, about 3 hours total. I was a little surprised the factory gauge showed IDEAL at 425F. Pics below: Cheers!!!
Great mod job! As for the 425* reading, when the fire is roaring on an ECB, side mounted thermometers read the heat coming around the water pan. Mine read 100* higher than a digital probe on the grate under these conditions, almost the same once it settled in. I took mine off and mounted it in the lid.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
Great mod job! As for the 425* reading, when the fire is roaring on an ECB, side mounted thermometers read the heat coming around the water pan. Mine read 100* higher than a digital probe on the grate under these conditions, almost the same once it settled in. I took mine off and mounted it in the lid.
Hey qnbiker, Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to compare temps next time it's runnin' to see what difference I have. Did you vent through the top or leave it as originally designed. I'm wondering if that will make a difference?? I'll find out... Cheers!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Nice Work
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote