Help with Ribs Score

Chipper

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here is our rib box at New Holland. We felt it was the best we have done. The judges thought otherwise.

887 987 677 987 877 766 Good for 53rd place.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• NHRibs2010A.jpg
    NHRibs2010A.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 304
For appearance turn them 90 degrees so the bones face the front of the box.

Obviously tenderness is a big issue. Did they fall off the bone? If not then I'd say they were undercooked. Taste - can't help there without tasting them but something is off. Not enough salt maybe, not intense enough, not sweet enough. Just some ideas to consider. If you think you'd eat them for a meal they are under spiced for sure.

If you think you'd eat them for a meal they are under spiced for sure.

thats an interesting thought. hadn't heard that yet. i can certainly see it being true, though.

turn em 90* clockwise. i'd guess undercooked by an hour or so from the looks. i see just the beginning of pullback.

nice color i have to say.

I have a question about the scores, what is the first, second and third score represent. I only have cooked MBN and dont understand KCBS scores yet. In MBN we have not recieved anything less than an 8, and now mostly 10's and a few 9's. The 9's seem to keep us out of the finals a few times.

I have a question about the scores, what is the first, second and third score represent. I only have cooked MBN and dont understand KCBS scores yet. In MBN we have not recieved anything less than an 8, and now mostly 10's and a few 9's. The 9's seem to keep us out of the finals a few times.

KCBS is on a scale of 2-9, when scores as described are each judge in appearance, taste and texture, therefore if your scores are

988, 987

Then judge 1 gave a 9 for appearance, 8 for taste and 8 for texture.
Judge 2 gave 9 for appearance, 8 for taste, and 7 for texture.

Here is our rib box at New Holland. We felt it was the best we have done. The judges thought otherwise.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Appearance: I think others have covered it well.
Taste and Texture: Of course, hard to tell by the photo, you mention that you thought they were the best yet. Can you provide a little more information about the taste and texture? Are your ribs, more sweet or spicy? How tender were they? how long did they cook? This kind of info may help in getting more the info that you are looking for.

Personally, I think they look great.

I cant figure it out and I wont try. I thought my ribs were my weekest category and brisket my strongest. Boy was i wrong. Here a re my ribs from the same contest as chipper this past weekend that were 9th

Last edited:

Really impossible to tell from looking at the box. It does look like they might be slightly undercooked.. but there is no way to tell from looking.. a perfectly cooked rib can have very little (if any) pullback.
The appearance score, while not fantastic, didn't kill your score. I had a 3rd place brisket with the exact same appearance score. It was the taste and especially tenderness that knocked you that far down.

I cooked them a little over 4 hours @ 275, wrapped for a little more than an hour. They were tender, but not fall off the bone and I thought they were sweet, but not horribly so.
Sled, yours look good, but not much different.
We felt that ribs and brisket are our best. Brisket ended up in the top third, but not as high as we hoped.

Attachments

• NHBrisket2010.jpg
    NHBrisket2010.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 187
Going on apperance only your ribs look a lot better than your brisket. I agree, the ribs need to be turned. I would give them a solid 8, maybe a 9 for appearance. The Brisket looks dry to me, I would probably give it a 7 at best.

Maybe it will help if you look at the scores a little different.

Appearance/Taste/Tenderness (it shows up near the top of the scoresheet)

Take the scores and group them that way:

So your scores:

Become:

Appearance: 896987
Taste: 887876
Tenderness: 777776

Basically the key here is that the tenderness was off. 7's won't get you a call, so I'd focus on getting that score up.

Appearance scores were good, 2 9's, 2 8's.
Taste was 3 8's, 2 7's and a 6's so you need to get those up some also.

Also realize that Taste is twice as many points and Tenderness which is twice as many points as Appearance.

You want to get more Taste scores, then Tenderness, so I'd focus on getting those two up.

Russ

Brisket does look dry. Place the burnt ends in the back. Trim flat pre-cook so your slices fit in the box better. Slices look a little thicker than what most judges like. Box looks like a 6-7 to me.

While's it's true that ribs can be fully cooked and not retracted, MOST of the time the lack of retraction means they are underdone. Based on the appearance and the scores, I would guess underdone in this case.

4 hours at 275 isn't quite enough. Try wrapping them earlier, or cooking them longer.

They shouldn't be fall off the bone, but neither should you have to gnaw your way through them. When in doubt, a little more done is better than a little less done.

Maybe it will help if you look at the scores a little different.

Appearance/Taste/Tenderness (it shows up near the top of the scoresheet)

Take the scores and group them that way:

So your scores:

Become:

Appearance: 896987
Taste: 887876
Tenderness: 777776

Basically the key here is that the tenderness was off. 7's won't get you a call, so I'd focus on getting that score up.

Appearance scores were good, 2 9's, 2 8's.
Taste was 3 8's, 2 7's and a 6's so you need to get those up some also.

Also realize that Taste is twice as many points and Tenderness which is twice as many points as Appearance.

You want to get more Taste scores, then Tenderness, so I'd focus on getting those two up.

Russ

it always amazes me that folks dont breakdown their scores to see where they were off. You wouldnt even need to ask the question if you saw all 7's for tenderness, they didnt like the tenderness, which means you didnt cook them right. You dont need a comment card, a picture, or a bite to know that all 7's mean bad cooking.

KCBS is on a scale of 2-9, when scores as described are each judge in appearance, taste and texture, therefore if your scores are

988, 987

Then judge 1 gave a 9 for appearance, 8 for taste and 8 for texture.
Judge 2 gave 9 for appearance, 8 for taste, and 7 for texture.

Thanks for the explination.

Chip,

I would pre-trim the flat to make the slices fit the box, make the slices a little thinner and lightly sauce them.

For what it's worth, my teammate tried your brisket and said it was excellent!

Erik

I cooked them a little over 4 hours @ 275, wrapped for a little more than an hour. They were tender, but not fall off the bone and I thought they were sweet, but not horribly so.
Sled, yours look good, but not much different.
We felt that ribs and brisket are our best. Brisket ended up in the top third, but not as high as we hoped.

Ribs - First impression was oversauced and under cooked. And that was just within the 1st 5 seconds I looked at it.

Brisket - First impression was dry and unevenly placed. At the very least, spray your slices with some Apple Juice or brush with Au Jus.

Back