High Heat Brisket Help Needed Please...

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone help a brother out? I put on a brisket flat (my first) on my drum this morning at 8:30am. Drum was running around 300-325* since I was going to try the high heat method. Well after about 2.5 hours the brisket had reached a temp of about 170* so I wrapped in a foil pan with some beef broth. The internal temp of the brisket is now showing 205* after only being on for 3.5 hours. Is this normal? Should I pull the brisket and hold it in a cooler? Please I need some help. Thanks everyone.

Don't worry about the internal temp but if you can put the probe in it and it feels like "butta" pull it out. Works everytime!

Thanks Rich. I just went and probed it and most of it was tender but there were still some parts that still gave resistance. I'm going to leave it on for another hour and check again.

As Rich suggested, probe it in a few places to make sure your probe isn't in a fat seam. If it feels tender all over then cooler it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Rich suggested, probe it in a few places to make sure your probe isn't in a fat seam. If it feels tender all over then cooler it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For clarification purposes, Rich was emphasizing probing to check for tenderness. This has nothing to do with temp readings, as it's hard to go by temps when briskets are covered in foil and cooked at high temps.

For clarification purposes, Rich was emphasizing probing to check for tenderness. This has nothing to do with temp readings, as it's hard to go by temps when briskets are covered in foil and cooked at high temps.

I'm confused by your quoting me with this response. I was also talking about probing for tenderness. Maybe I wasn't clear?

I understood.....I have probed for tenderness and it feels like butter throughout most of the brisket. I just pulled it off and put it in a cooler with towels to rest for an hour or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out good. It sure smells good! I'll post pics later on.

I understood.....I have probed for tenderness and it feels like butter throughout most of the brisket. I just pulled it off and put it in a cooler with towels to rest for an hour or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out good. It sure smells good! I'll post pics later on.

It's going to be great! It sounds like you did everything right. What did you use for a rub?

Nice!

Let us know how it turned out.

Back