MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
AginAustin
Got Wood.

Default A few questions from a rookie

I've been browsing the forums the last few days until my account was activated so I've learned quite a bit from you guys. I'm currently on a cookoff team and we've done decent in our last 2 cookoffs...well here it goes...
1. Regarding the bend test/toothpick test to see if your ribs are done, are these tests used for competition ribs? If so, I'm sure that will help our team out since our ribs usually don't turn out really tender
2. How is the blues hog sauce? It seems to come pretty highly recommended here...I've been thinking about buying some to try on our competition ribs.
3. Is it pretty much a concensus that competition ribs should be trimmed to St. Louis cut? We have been pulling the spares out, seasoning them, and throwing them on the pit membrane and all.

Thanks in advance,
AginAustin
AginAustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

I think the general concensus here is that you should always pull off the membrane, no matter what style of trim you use. How'd an Ag get exiled to the land of fruits and nuts?
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AginAustin View Post
I've been browsing the forums the last few days until my account was activated so I've learned quite a bit from you guys. I'm currently on a cookoff team and we've done decent in our last 2 cookoffs...well here it goes...
1. Regarding the bend test/toothpick test to see if your ribs are done, are these tests used for competition ribs? If so, I'm sure that will help our team out since our ribs usually don't turn out really tender

I use the tear test and also probe it with my thermapen...
Tear test...
Take hold of two adjacent bones toward the middle of the slab and give them a pull. If the meat offers a bit of resistance but then tears easily, you know the ribs are done just right.

2. How is the blues hog sauce? It seems to come pretty highly recommended here...I've been thinking about buying some to try on our competition ribs.
3. Is it pretty much a concensus that competition ribs should be trimmed to St. Louis cut? We have been pulling the spares out, seasoning them, and throwing them on the pit membrane and all.

Yep...if you're doin' spares...St Louis is the norm...and YES most all pull the membrane.

Thanks in advance,
AginAustin
You're welcome...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Absolute not on the membrane removal. Are you gonna debone them as well? No? Then why remove the membrane? I don't want mine trimmed either, I like the cut just as it is.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

No membrane here! It does nothing for the meat in regards to taste, texture, or appearance, and I don't like chewing on inedible items.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
No membrane here! It does nothing for the meat in regards to taste, texture, or appearance, and I don't like chewing on inedible items.

What he said.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
AginAustin
Daddy taught me way back when to always pull the membrane of of ribs and the parchment of of lamb, since these inhibit marinating and rubs.

I should pointout that Dad is an Italian from Chicagoland. He hasn't streared me wrong on anything else so I trust him on this one. Besides as mentioned earlier, I hate getting that dried wax papery like stuff when I take a bite.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I remove the Gut Cavity Lining always.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
AginAustin
Got Wood.

thanks for the comments...I really appreciate it. Does anyone have any more to comment about the bend & toothpick tests? I don't really want to end up with fall of the bone ribs at the next cook off

Texas Turtle...you know Austin wasn't my first choice coming from College Station but that's where employment led me...it isn't too bad of a town.

Any comments about Blues Hog Sauce? Any other recommendations for sauces to baste ribs with before turn in?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
thanks for the comments...I really appreciate it. Does anyone have any more to comment about the bend & toothpick tests? I don't really want to end up with fall of the bone ribs at the next cook off

Texas Turtle...you know Austin wasn't my first choice coming from College Station but that's where employment led me...it isn't too bad of a town.

Any comments about Blues Hog Sauce? Any other recommendations for sauces to baste ribs with before turn in?
Can you give a little more info on your existing technique and what youre cooking on?

I'm not much on toothpicks for ribs (other things, yes), Bending/poking - YES!

If you're using anything like the 3-1-1 method, it's an easy adjustment.

Oh yeah - definitely pull them membranes. Sauce is a big variable, and it's usually said that you need to adjust to your target - it varies regionally and judge to judge. Blues hog is good, but fairly distinctive. You may want to use something like that as a base, and modify it.
SoCalWJS is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
landarc

I really like Blues Hog, but, find it too thick. I tend to cut it with bourbon or apple juice, I prefer bourbon.

I am a membrane off kinda guy, really prefer the texture without it. I use a metal skewer to test ribs, and look for a little resistance, then take em off. I do not foil.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
AginAustin
Got Wood.

well for our typical cookoffs we have a large pit. I isn't an offset smoker but it is large enough that we can set a coals at one end and cook at the other...I would guess about 250 gallon propane tank. After our first cookoff, we figured out that we weren't getting enough smoke on our meat especially the brisket so we are going to start trying wood chunks to add some smoke.

For the ribs, we have been cooking about 4 hours straight. The first time we mopped about every hour and they turned out ok. This last time we didn't mop but after about 1:30 hours we started to baste with sauce. Is this too soon? Should we wait until the last hour to baste with sauce?

We know another team that cooks in our area that we are good friends with...they typically do a brown sugar or honey rib that typically hits top 5 in the cook offs...we're just trying to try something new that may be able to upset them!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
AginAustin
Got Wood.

Anyone have anything to say about basting the ribs?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, that is what foil is for. When you're looking, your not cooking. And look at membrane as a wall. Do you want smoke and flavor all the way through or part of the way or blocked altogether? Your choice. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
LMAJ

Quote:
Anyone have anything to say about basting the ribs?
Depending on the sugat content of what you are using to baste the ribs that may be a little early -
I just rub them then smoke them, rarely do I ever sauce them but when I do it is in the last half hour.

4 hours doesn't seem long enough for spares - is that what you are cooking? Foil or no?

Now - take what I say for what it's worth - I don't compete but I have fed my fair share of folks....

Good luck.

L-M
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote