Moving temp gauge on Old Country Brazos

Lynn Dollar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm putting Tel Tru's on both ends of my cook chamber. But I have a factory pre-drilled hole to fill in the middle of the cook chamber door.

What are these called ? Where can I find one ?

I'm editing to resize the pic, no idea what went wrong

QkbHtNY.jpg

Last edited:
Pipe plug. Home Depot or Lowe’s. Not sure the size cuz pipe thread sizing and bolt thread sizing is different........

The size of on the Tel Tru is 13/16th ......... I went to an Ace Hardware and they had nothing in that size .

Black pipe plug. You should be able to match it at any plumbing supply or department.

Well, sounds like I need to hit the plumbing supply store. I don't actually have one to match, I took that pic at Academy. Guess I just get two or three close to that size to find one that fits.

OK, I'm sure it'll be 3/4" . Thanks

I guessing the pre-drilled hole is threaded ?

Depends on the smoker. Some have a threaded bung welded on. Most of - if not all Old Country’s don’t - it’s just a hole but pipe plug will thread in.

Thinkin bout just putting another cheap Old Country gauge into that spot, and put my Tel Trus on both ends. But I'm not sure that location in the middle of the lid, tells me a whole lot.

Old Country gauges SUCK so it won’t be of much Help anyways.........

Its a 1/2 " pipe plug, threaded right in there, like it was made for it.

Now I drill the two holes for the Tel Tru's, and if I recall correctly, its 7/8" ?

Smitty , what you think about height of the smoke stack on the Brazos ? Its larger Inside Diameter, 5.5" than most, but its not very high ?

I'm having second thoughts on temp gauge placement. Originally, I was gonna put one on both ends of cook chamber at grate level.

I'm good with doing that on the firebox end. But I'm having second thoughts on the stack end.

It seems to me, because the stack draws at grate level in the center, that the two corners of the lower grate on that end would be cool spots ?

Maybe on the stack end, I need to move the gauge closer to the handle ?

Back