• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Along the 95 Corridor

upStomp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My family is taking a road trip to Florida to visit my snowbird Father. I'd love to stop along the way and get some representative BBQ near our stopover destinations. We'll be stopping in Pooler, GA on the way down and Florence, SC on the way back. Any recommendations for some good grub?

Cheers!

I have been to Dukes BBQ in Walterboro which is just east of I95. You can google and see the menu. Very casual and good SC style bbq with hush puppies, hash and rice and banana pudding made with pound cake!

How far south are you coming, bbq is awful lean around here but we always welcome Brethren.

How far south are you coming, bbq is awful lean around here but we always welcome Brethren.
Heading to Ft Myers. You're right - last time I was in Florida, I had to make it myself. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Myron Mixon has a place in Alexandria, VA that I’d say it’s worth stopping and checking out. You can see the Woodrow Wilson Bridge 95/495 from the outside of the restaurant.

Not many great places in Pooler that I am aware of, but just 45 miles west in Statesboro, GA is "Smoque Pit" that is pretty good. Not sure what dates you're going to be around, but we operate a BBQ food truck (Bulloch BBQ) that has garnered some respectable reviews via Facebook :wink:. We're only open every other Sunday (with the next date being 1/27) from 11am-2pm, and we typically sell out by approximately 1pm, so come early!

If you don’t mind getting off 95 and taking a quick trip into DC since your basically in DC already I’d say go to Hill County Barbecue Market. I love this place!!! Oh and Federalist Pig also in DC another great Q place located in DC.

If you don’t mind getting off 95 and taking a quick trip into DC since your basically in DC already I’d say go to Hill County Barbecue Market. I love this place!!! Oh and Federalist Pig also in DC another great Q place located in DC.

A quick trip into DC? You've got quite the sense of humor! :laugh:

These are some of my favorites:

Just south of DC in Woodbridge is Dixie Bones. I haven't been in a while, but they definitely were quite good:

https://dixiebones.com/

Just north of Richmond at the 295 turnoff is Q BBQ. This is Tuffy Stone's place. Ribs are excellent, as is pretty much everything, except the cornbread is below average. I stop here every time I head to the Carolinas, ~100 times since they opened.

https://qbarbeque.com/

I've been to a few other places on your route down to the South Carolina border, but no others have stuck out, except Prince George BBQ near Lee, VA, but this stuck out for its poor quality and I wouldn't recommend. I'd also tried King's BBQ, a local favorite in Lee, VA. I could not get over the amount of yellow mustard on my sandwich, but I'm not a big fan of bright yellow mustard. It definitely is one of the busier BBQ restaurants I've been to.

Depending on where you start out, you can stop at B.T.'s in Sturbridge. I always stop there when I'm within 50 miles:

https://www.btsmokehouse.com/

There is a great place in Benson NC, just a few miles from 95. I highly recommend it

http://theredneckbbqlab.com/

I stopped at redneck BBQ on my last trip a month ago because I'd heard good things about it from several people. As I recall, the burnt ends were outstanding, but the ribs I had were dry, and frankly, not that good. On my way back, I chose not to stop, which is odd for me -- I drove straight through to Q BBQ. It could have been an off day for them and will give them another try next time I'm down that way.

Dukes in Walterboro, SC...put you some mustard sauce on that que.

For a decent example of Pee Dee barbecue (that's vinegar based if you didn't know) you could swing by McCabe's in Manning, SC.

The Redneck BBQ Lab around Benson, NC gets good reviews (I've never been).

Back