MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
byerstexas
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Anybody Ever Tried...?

I'll go first. I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried making your own phosphate based injections, and/or how it worked out. I've seen lots of the various big dogs - ie., Kosmo's, Butcher's etc. out there on the trail and it got me to wondering how I would start trying to make something up myself.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
byerstexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I looked into it, but just not convinced, injecting meat with chemicals, is the best practice.

You can buy unflavored food grade tripolyphosphate powder. I know Butcher BBQ sells just the phosphate. I would start by making an injection, and mixing in at their recommended amounts, then alter from there.

https://butcherbbq.com/product/phosp...MaAtVQEALw_wcB
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
byerstexas
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default RE: Anybody ever tried...

I agree with you! I don't like the idea of chemicals in my barbecue, it's the main reason I very rarely compete. That said, I have been giving some thought to entering a couple of competitions,Spring is coming, and it's an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" proposition. (Even with the chemicals, I probably can't beat 'em anyway, but the fellowship at comps is its own reward.)

Harry Soo mentioned in one of his videos, that you're cooking for the judges, not for yourself; and I know a lot of serious competitors who will say their competition cooks bear little or no resemblance to what they cook for themselves and their families at home.

But that's another discussion for another day.

If anyone in this group has tried making a home made phosphate blend, I'd sure like to hear about it!
byerstexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Competition, diy, Injections