MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

what's with butter and honey too, I ain't never heard tell of such a thing on ribs till I came here.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like my ribs to bite off the bone cleanly. But, mostly, I want my ribs to taste good -- without sauce. Sauce should be optional on good ribs.

If I err one way, I'd rather the meat fall off the bone, than have to gnaw it off the bone.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Tomorrow, I'm smoking individual spare ribs where the whole rack have been sliced already, between each rib, like we slice them after smoking the slab.
I got them like that at a Korean market, cheap. I'm not talking about short ribs.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke View Post
I like them right in between fall off and comp. Not mushy but easily pulled off the bone.
I fall in this category...I don't want to shake a bone and have the meat fall off however I also don't want to fight with it either.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
Bludawg

Pork rib jello has no place in my diet, bite through slight tug pull cleanly from the bone please.

Last edited by Bludawg; 04-16-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
luberconn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Lou

are we talking come off the bone cleanly? or actual fall off the bone. only fall off the bone ribs i've ever had were in a crock pot. where i tried to pick a rib out of the pot and the meat fell off.

sounds like most are saying they like it to come off the bone cleanly where as the comp style is right before they start coming off the bone cleanly.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I've typed this before and I will again. KCBS is not the final authority of the doneness of any meat, nor did they make BBQ beautiful by virtually insisting of greenery in the turn in box. There are other opinions and authorities.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
I've typed this before and I will again. KCBS is not the final authority of the doneness of any meat, nor did they make BBQ beautiful by virtually insisting of greenery in the turn in box. There are other opinions and authorities.
Yeah...as far as my BBQ it's how it tastes to ME :D

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

Last edited by jamus34; 04-16-2013 at 07:58 PM..
jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I read where Trigg said he doesn't care for his comp ribs. He said he preferred full slab spares with a little spice and a little smoke. That's how I like them too. I never sauce my ribs but I serve a sweet sauce on the side for the kids and those who like that kinda thing (though I have been dousing mine in shack attack sauce). I also prefer bite through with a little tug. Some of my family members like the meat to fall of the bone so I'll usually cook a slab or two a little longer.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

I vote for fall off the bone. Comp style bbq period what a joke. I'm with you Jim who came up with the so called criteria. Why can't you do something original and win. I can't even take my q home from a comp and enjoy it because I don't like it, but have to cook that way to win. Bite trough skin why do you even need skin. Don't get me started on comp q but dang them comps are so much fun.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

I asked for input - thanks! No hijack perceived. I have (as probably most have) accidentally cooked ribs too long and ended up with pulled pork - it did make for a great sandwich. I think I also like mine tender but with a little tug but if I end up wearing my food that's Okay too. As a father of 7 I am way too busy to comp but I do see how it would be great fun with buds and suds - and Oh Yes! Q'ing too. So at the end of the day I cook for judges I have to live with - the Mrs. and kids and my own tastes. Thanks all.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #27
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Those are the best judges to have. Cook on brother.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ View Post
Comp style bbq period what a joke.
Pretty bold statement there. Not saying right or wrong, just bold. I like "shoot from the hip" kind of comments .

But to the OP I like ribs multiple ways. I do like "comp" style and I really think judges do as well. They keep scoring that way at least. It is just one of many ways to cook bbq.

To even more directly answer you question of "Why do we cook ribs comp style?".........here are my answers.

1. It was a style of rib cooking I wanted to learn (even prior to competing)
2. I like them that way a lot of the times
3. My friends & family like them that way
4. They do score well in KCBS
5. I like the difficulty of hitting the smaller window of the bite through without falling off the bone

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
dadsr4

I never have followed one of the comp recipes, my rib cooking dates to before I was aware of BBQ comps. However, if one does an online search on how to cook ribs outdoors, comp recipes seem to be what pops up.
Also, many peoples exposure to rib is at restaurants, where ribs that have been held a while are the norm. Add sauce to cover up the soft texture and people think that is the only way.
Cook the way you want to, but at least try both kinds.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #30
DC-Q
Full Fledged Farker

I cook my ribs to fall off the bone but not be mushy.
I feel (& I don't judge or compete) that even if you have to bite the rib it should still com clean from the bone.

I ordered ribs at a local restaurant and they were mushy.
I took one bite & almost threw up. Disgusting!!!