MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #46
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Aaaaaaargh! My favorite pans for cooking on the stove were Magnalite Professionals, and they got killed by a bogus 'aluminum' threat. This truly blows fish!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #47
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

Suppanice video again T. Don't listen to that "Nobody gets your videos but yourself" nonsense.
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #48
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
Private messages are called 'PRIVATE' for a reason.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #49
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I usually wait to hear from people who actually contribute to the site or to BBQ in general before I consider any criticism to be worth a damn.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #50
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe it's just me, but that was my favorite video yet. I think I'm corrupted.

But, what about that beautiful UDS? She's grotto be getting jealous.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #51
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsmoker View Post
Maybe it's just me, but that was my favorite video yet. I think I'm corrupted.

But, what about that beautiful UDS? She's grotto be getting jealous.
Well, I ended up liking Noah so much that I just could not, until I do a pork butt (thereby I had done it all), drill six holes in the upper outer rim of the Screwdriver, place rebar in the slots, create additional hooks, and hang 14 racks of ribs in the UDS on film.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #52
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I know I have seen you someplace, just can't put the face to a name. I did not know that putting possum in foil will cause personal hygiene issues. Wait was that another video? No matter it looked good to me. I did not know Noah developed a rub, then with all those animals on the Ark, what else could he do. Wait no wait, aw never mind.
Dave

Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #53
Mo-Dave

I would ask what is the advantage of hanging it for a period of time, could it be just to get an overall color?
Dave

Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #54
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I would ask what is the advantage of hanging it for a period of time, could it be just to get an overall color?
Dave
This is a great question. Here are my findings. It is a change. Whether you like it or not is up to you.

We depend on gravity for many things. Howard Hughes used to draw out the route to and from various functions (dance, studio, acting lessons) for his various stable of "talent" at RKO. The reason being was, if they had perfect breasts and he had them under contract, from an engineering standpoint it would be beneficial to make sure they went along a route that was "bump free."

BBQ is like that. If you are depending on pooling or what not by laying **** down you will have to make an adjustment.

I like it. Smoke, rings, cooking in general is changed when the meat does not pool juices and such. Hanging the meat changes this during a crucial time... those first few hours. I expected to like the affect on chicken... stellar! Ribs, pleasantly surprised --- remember, you should be able to hang about 12 to 14 racks in your UDS. Brisket was good too and didn't expect it to be. One major difference is the bark quality. Bark needs to set early on. If the elements of your rub are layin' in a pool of juices (or its always wet from downward dripping) the crust never quites harden)> After it sets its more likely to be better even after wrapping.

Edict.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #55
motoeric
Babbling Farker

What many people don't realize is that when Donnie toots his own horn, he is using a horn that he made himself from an old UDS and recycled glitter.

How much of an impact do you believe that gravity had on stretching the muscle fibers of the brisket to make it more tender (bordering on too tender)? Do you attribute it all to the form of cooking (vertical vs horizontal)?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #56
smokeinthenoke
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
Don't mean to be insulting to you but If I wanted a pro video I would go to the internet not BBQ Brethren
Dang, I thought this WAS on the internet!? Must be using too much foil.....
smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #57
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

I think I got Alzheimer's watching that.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #58
SPRfree
Take a breath!

Great video... great fun...great bbq...IMHO
SPRfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #59
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I attribute the overtenderness over doneness to my laziness. At my core, it is important to know.... I just don't give a ****.

I cook the ****ing thing, there was heat in the PBC after it was done, I have no idea how much so I wrapped it up and let it rest in there. I could give two ****ws if it fell apart because I like it that way. :-)

We are warned all the time about letting a brisket cool a bit before resting.... I estimated it was done and left it in there. My only goal was... would a brisket put on at 9:30 or so be ready for company by 6. Obviously between 4:30 and 5:57 it was ready by everyone's standards as the minutes passed. LOL.... the agreement as to when that was would be up to the audience. When we have countless scores of people that cook these things at death march temps for 12 freaking hours and STILL not get it done... well, get a PBC and you are set. UDS same thing. The PBC, if you like what is coming out of it in my vids... essentially legitimizes "The Edict" ---- that 275 is pretty damn near the ultimate house temp. LOL

NO I do not think hanging it has one thing to do with the tenderness NOR overall greatness of what you see on the vids (if you think is great looking).

Its the temp. Can a master go beyond the PBC ... hell yeah. But for all who have troubles, the PBC seems to hit a sweet spot for all meats with little or no jacking around.

As far as the stretching, the meats actually constrict.. which interestingly enough, cause the meat to distance itself from the coals a bit.

I think the hanging as I said above, contributes to the bark being better than on one horizontally placed the entire cook.

Imagine it this way.... imagine you are making beef jerky.... same smoker, same wood, same house temp.... only thing that's different is..... you have a choice of hanging or laying it on a rack... choose....

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
What many people don't realize is that when Donnie toots his own horn, he is using a horn that he made himself from an old UDS and recycled glitter.

How much of an impact do you believe that gravity had on stretching the muscle fibers of the brisket to make it more tender (bordering on too tender)? Do you attribute it all to the form of cooking (vertical vs horizontal)?

Eric

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 04-10-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #60
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Looking forward to the jerky video...
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote