MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
chefman316
On the road to being a farker

Question From a Rec Tec to a Backwoods Competitor

My buddy and I are fixing up a used Backwoods Competitor we picked up. It has an auto water system, convection fan, and a 'hide setter' (which I am not familiar with)...

Any tips or recommendations on how I should adjust my cookers going from a Rec Tec pellet smoker to this Backwoods? Also, we compete in KCBS events...do I need to use this 'hide setter' for any reason?

\m/
[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Here's a thread from a while back that has info on the hide setter...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=132028

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Nice Congrats and enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
BBQ Tim

Is this the unit that you bought from bones? From his classified from July the outside needed some work, but had some great potential. How was the inside of the unit in comparison to the outside? Good luck with your project.
BBQ Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
chefman316

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Tim View Post
Is this the unit that you bought from bones? From his classified from July the outside needed some work, but had some great potential. How was the inside of the unit in comparison to the outside? Good luck with your project.
Well we picked it up from a gentleman named Chris (not sure if he goes by bones)

My comp. partner Steve is doing the work on it, and he has sandblasted, and primed the outside, as well as did some work to the inside. Here is where we are at now:

[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
LongIslandEd
Take a breath!

Nice find!

MES 30 & MES Cold Smoke attachment
Smoke-n-Hot Outdoor Grilling Center
LongIslandEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
babrisket
Knows what a fatty is.

In my experience and from what I've heard from others, food cooks a little quicker in a Backwoods than some other smokers. Backwoods work really well with a temp controller. Congrats on your new cooker.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #8
BBQ Tim

Looking good! Nice rescue.

I think this is the same unit.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ods+competitor

Last edited by BBQ Tim; 12-23-2015 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Edit
BBQ Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwoods, coal, kcbs, lump, pellet, smoke, smoker, wood