MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #12691
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikett View Post
Chicken came out a little salty in spots, brine was probably a little too rich in salt, but I consider it a success. 7.5 lb. chicken took 4+ hours. Turkey leg was above 180* but that did not hurt it one bit. The log will be partially consumed at breakfast this morning.
Cooked between 325 & 350*.
Thanks to all who post here I could not have done it without this thread.
Looks good. What's up with the rebar, the straps, and the cable?? There's a whole lot going on there lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #12692
mikett
Knows what a fatty is.

[QUOTE=PorkinButts82;3732744]Looks good. What's up with the rebar, the straps, and the cable?? There's a whole lot going on there lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thanks
The cable is hooked to the cart, pull that to drag it around.
Straps and tubing was just to hold the lid down tight until my clamps get here.
mikett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #12693
Beekeep
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ribs going on

I Just completed building a HeterMeter with a Micro Damper to control the temps on my UDS. After using it without a controller for 2 years I got tired of not sleeping much when I did overnight brisket cooks.

Did a beef back rib cook today even with 20MPH winds and temps in the low 40s and 30s it came out great.

You can not beat a UDS.

Beekeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #12694
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I Just completed building a HeterMeter with a Micro Damper to control the temps on my UDS.
Can you post a couple pic's of it please? Sounds interesting.
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #12695
Beekeep
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

It is a home built kit to control a fan and servo to keep your pit at a very constant temperature. It can use a Raspberry Pi serve a web page or attach to your router so you can view and adjust it from anywhere. I built mine in a weekend.

Everything you want to know about it can be found at these links.
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMet...---HeaterMeter
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?5983...ding-Resources
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?619...ht=heatermeter

I will post a picture of mine when I get home.
Beekeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #12696
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I will post a picture of mine when I get home
Waiting patiently....I'd like to see how it mounts, how you "run" it. Off your phone? Laptop. My phone is an Android.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #12697
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Okay guys I need some help. Last UDS built in 2012. Gave it to kid when I moved and promised self I would find a SS barrel and do one again. Got busy. I have perused through the extra pages to this thread but not finding what I need.

Drum I got is closed head. The WallyWorld kit lid my wife bought me for Christmas doesn't fit the rim. I know I've seen some corrections for this but haven't found it. A thin strip welded to the inside of the rim? I don't weld.
I could amend the lid to fit inside the rim but then there's the rain? Can anyone steer me in the correct direction? Show me a sign?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #12698
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Drum I got is closed head. The WallyWorld kit lid my wife bought me for Christmas doesn't fit the rim. I know I've seen some corrections for this but haven't found it. A thin strip welded to the inside of the rim? I don't weld.
I could amend the lid to fit inside the rim but then there's the rain? Can anyone steer me in the correct direction? Show me a sign?
Seems 55g drums vary slightly in size. My 20 year old barrel is much heavier gauge steel, and lids form a weber kettle fit perfect. New barrel, much lighter steel from 2014, no fit. You could probably drill and rivet that band in place?

I have a brand new 30-35g steel drum, that I bought, not realizing it was a close head drum. So it sits, awaiting a solution. I found a drum deheading tool cheap enough, but don't know if the lid is reusable after it does its job? I wanted to build a smaller version of the UDC, like the PBC, but the project is stalled for now, seems we have similar situations...

Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #12699
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Took a move and left the drum behind with the boy.
It had served me well and the elements were getting to the bottom of it.
I pledged I would find me a SS drum and create another. Finally found one that I could afford, used the WallyWorld kit.

cut the top to create a shelf to grate. on my old one this was my position of choice for the grate for butts and ribs. Lower for chicken.

Lid took some work, had to add an ID ring as the lid diameter about 1/2" small

Cruising at 255*F. Ran a test run, this time it gets its first butt, a 10 pounder.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #12700
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Might as well post this here since I haven't yet

I love that I'm seeing more and more stainless drums recently! I took plakers' cookers and made a baby out of em

Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #12701
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJHam View Post
QUESTION.
My uds has been running really high (temp wise) lately, Don't know if I'm starting to much coal or what.

any help on how many coals to start?

thanks
Here is a cut and paste from a different thread that might help.

"It's always good to learn from others experiences. I've built two uds's, one with great sucsess and the other.......well.......not so much. The first was as basic as they come and it works awesome. The second one I tried to pimp out a bit and it has never worked properly. I've used my first for smoking home made moose sausage and it held temps at 150 to 170 for six hours. Never thought it would hold temps that low. I was impressed. It has also held 250 for 17+ hours. I had problems at first with the temps fluctuating until I started experimenting, just like you did. I found that I was loading the charcoal basket up with way to much charcoal and then also lighting way to much on start up which was causing the fluctuations. Temperature fluctuations seemed harder to control with lump that with birquets. My charcoal chimney when full holds 80 kingsford burquets. For a short cook of less than six hours at 250ish, I dump one full charcoal chimney in the basket and for cooks longer than six hours I will use two chimney's of charcoal. I them remove 15-20 of those birquets and light them in the chimney and when they are completly ashed over I dump them in the basket. once the tempes get close to where I want them I close off some of the intake air and it settles in at 250ish and stays there for the duration of the cook. If temps start to drop off a bit, I give the usd a bit of a shake to help keep the ash from building up in and under the charcoal basket and the temp settles right back in. This has method has never let me down. Wind will also cause issues if your intakes come staight out of the side of you drum. I installed a 90 degree elbow on each intake nipple wich helped a great deal. I also ditched the ball valves, never did like the look of them, and now use a stack of pipe bushings (3/4 x1/2, 1/2 x 3/8, 3/8 x 1/4, 1/4 x 1/8, and a 1/8 pipe plug) to adjust intake air. They work great and it only takes a few cooks to learn which bushing combination gives you the desired temperature that you want."
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #12702
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomper View Post
Here is a cut and paste from a different thread that might help.

"It's always good to learn from others experiences. I've built two uds's, one with great sucsess and the other.......well.......not so much. The first was as basic as they come and it works awesome. The second one I tried to pimp out a bit and it has never worked properly. I've used my first for smoking home made moose sausage and it held temps at 150 to 170 for six hours. Never thought it would hold temps that low. I was impressed. It has also held 250 for 17+ hours. I had problems at first with the temps fluctuating until I started experimenting, just like you did. I found that I was loading the charcoal basket up with way to much charcoal and then also lighting way to much on start up which was causing the fluctuations. Temperature fluctuations seemed harder to control with lump that with birquets. My charcoal chimney when full holds 80 kingsford burquets. For a short cook of less than six hours at 250ish, I dump one full charcoal chimney in the basket and for cooks longer than six hours I will use two chimney's of charcoal. I them remove 15-20 of those birquets and light them in the chimney and when they are completly ashed over I dump them in the basket. once the tempes get close to where I want them I close off some of the intake air and it settles in at 250ish and stays there for the duration of the cook. If temps start to drop off a bit, I give the usd a bit of a shake to help keep the ash from building up in and under the charcoal basket and the temp settles right back in. This has method has never let me down. Wind will also cause issues if your intakes come staight out of the side of you drum. I installed a 90 degree elbow on each intake nipple wich helped a great deal. I also ditched the ball valves, never did like the look of them, and now use a stack of pipe bushings (3/4 x1/2, 1/2 x 3/8, 3/8 x 1/4, 1/4 x 1/8, and a 1/8 pipe plug) to adjust intake air. They work great and it only takes a few cooks to learn which bushing combination gives you the desired temperature that you want."
Pics please. Sounds interesting

PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #12703
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakers View Post
Took a move and left the drum behind with the boy.
It had served me well and the elements were getting to the bottom of it.
I pledged I would find me a SS drum and create another. Finally found one that I could afford, used the WallyWorld kit.

cut the top to create a shelf to grate. on my old one this was my position of choice for the grate for butts and ribs. Lower for chicken.

Lid took some work, had to add an ID ring as the lid diameter about 1/2" small

Cruising at 255*F. Ran a test run, this time it gets its first butt, a 10 pounder.

Looks like you had the same doner bbq as I did for my second build. Wish I could find a ss drum

Old 03-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #12704
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkinButts82 View Post
Pics please. Sounds interesting

Here's a pic of my intake. I have three 3/4" nipples spaced evenly. One just has a pipe cap and the other two has the below set up with bushings.
Wow never realized how bad the paint job is doing. Looks like a face lift is in order.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #12705
casadekletz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hey guys, just started my first cook on my UDS this morning. Couple of pics of what I have. Just waiting for the ribs to cook then a couple of chickens are getting tossed on.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by casadekletz; 04-02-2017 at 11:01 AM..
casadekletz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker