MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

this is bbq here, no need for a digital display for me! I've got the iq for my large egg and LOVE it. Im sure the other controllers would work great also. But for the money, it was a no brainer. Never had a problem coming up to temps, or overshooting temps, it always knows if I open the lid. And if it does overshoot, it always seems to come down. If I set it to 250, the dome almost always reads right around 250.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
nthole
Babbling Farker

I have 2 IQs that are hooked up to a WSM (used to use the cone provided, have since drilled in a nipple with a valve) and a UDS. My experience is I can get either up to temp in 30 minutes, and once locked, I don't have to touch it till the meat is off and ready to put away. I've run close to 20 hours on the WSM (1 using my IQ and never touched the fire.

Both mine are gen 1s (no damper). The only issue I've ever had with them is if something happens and the temp gets out of control, because there isn't an automated damper on the unit air will continue to get drawn through even if the fan is off and it's difficult to bring back down.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I think I'm gonna go with an IQ110... I have a maverick to help monitor the pit/meat temps. I just couldn't get my wife to jump onboard with a $400-$500 unit...

Maybe one day when I win BBQ Pitmasters! Lol

Old 07-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Anyone have working pit probe for the original Guru? I need one bad. Thanks.

Doc

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
big piggin bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

i have 2 cyber q's run 4 WSM's with them and i love them... i just can put into words how awesome these units are...

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
Bebe
Full Fledged Farker

i have a DigiQ, a DigiQ WiFI and the Stoker black...
I use the DigiQ 2 most of the times, rain or snow, never had a single issue..
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholtzinger View Post
Also, get your UDS up to temp by opening your intakes until you get about 10 degrees or so from your target temp, then turn the IQ110 on. No need to light 5 coals and then have your IQ110 (or any other temp controller) struggle bring it up to 250 degrees. Im not so sure that is what they are made for.
I agree completely. No matter what temp controller you use, you need to figure out your optimum number of lit coals. Don't make your temp controller work any harder than it needs to.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

The last time somebody asked about both products and I said something myself and a couple of others got blasted pretty hard. So I will try to be helpful with MY experiences.

Saying that I had the IQ110 and I had issues with temps. There are many many people that swear by theirs but I could never get it to work with my BSK and my WSM.

I bought the PartyQ earlier in the year and hooked it up and it worked so well for ME that I ordered another one this past Monday. The PartyQ is battery operated which is a plus and a minus. Takes 4 AA batteries every long cook but if power goes out or anything it works without issue, so it is nice to take camping or whatever. To ME the customer service for the Guru is top notch.

There are a few things where I think the IQ110 may be better. Such as it seems to be thicker/heavier plastic and possibly better built. I am always afraid of someone tripping on my PartyQ because as one entire unit it is hooked up at the bottom vent and could be tripped on easy if someone isnt paying attention.

I know that the question was the Guru in general but comparing like products the PartyQ and IQ110 and Auber is a better comparison. I have never had an Auber but I also know of people that swear by it.

But if I had it to do all over again(and I did) I would go with the PartyQ. It meets my needs better.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't know much about the partyQ... But now I'm interested!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #25
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in the same boat as Fat Freddy. I'm not going to get into the gory details, but I will say that I had a terrible experience with the iQue. I bought one back when I still had a 22.5" WSM and it never performed correctly on multiple cooks. That combined with the worst customer service I've ever experienced from an online retailer pretty much sealed the deal. In other words, I bought a Chevy when I should have just paid a premium for a Honda (BBQ Guru).
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
Qcrazed
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had my IQ 4 a 11/2 years and hav,nt had a problem also works in the winter. And has a 5-15 cfm var. spd fan. LUV my IQ.
Qcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
tjguy1980
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the answers above and will be keeping tabs on this. Looking at some of the units mentioned to put on a UDS. I don't mind tending, but also would like to get some sleep on those over night cooks. Miss a lot of the party or picnic the next day.
tjguy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Would the ones haveing problems with the IQ-110 mind detailing the issues you experienced?

I bought one and it worked perfectly on the first cook. Subsequent 2 cooks it seems to run 10F-15F low on my UDS (compared to my Maverick 732) with the 2 probes located within an inch or so of each other (setpoint at 275F and later moved to 285F trying to compensate for running low temps). Also, the temp swings are about 10F......not a big deal if they are runiing 5F above and below your setpoint but if it's swinging down to 20F below setpoint......why even have one as the temps on a UDS are this stable without one?

I haven't done enough cooks with it to determine if this is totally the 110s fault so I've not yet drawn a conclusion. I'll experiment more but I hoped it would do better. That it performed so well on my first cook makes me wonder if I've done something wrong.
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
djeppert
On the road to being a farker

I have the IQ110 as well. Got it a few months ago and have not had any issues with it. I have it on my WSM and never have to mess with anything during cooks.

[B]22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
Pitmaster iQue 110
Traeger Texas Pro 34
Weber Performer
Brinkman 5 Burner Gasser[/B]
djeppert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkingINpublic View Post
I don't know much about the partyQ... But now I'm interested!
http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Par...or-Party-Q.htm

For a UDS, they have a 3/4" adapter that will screw into the standard ball valve. I was concerned about kicking it with my foot since it sticks out from the ball valve. I have my UDS sitting on three concrete blocks, so I just slid the one under the PartyQ out a little more to keep my big clumsy feet away from it.

I have a ET-732 & I place the PartyQ probe right under the 732 pit probe. That way I can do other things & know that my temps are right where I want them to be.