MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
nthole
Babbling Farker

Modern hair dryers (which are up to 2000 watts) contain a safety switch that prevent the heat output from exceeding 140F, which isn't even out of the safety range for HOLDING food, so I call B.S. on raising the temperature of a pit that is IN USE by anything of any value since most of the heat will be lost in the air blowing toward the pit unless you cut a hole open large enough to actually insert the blow dryer, in which case now you actually have the heat inside the pit and thus are partially cooking on electric, which is actually illegal.

Just seems ridiculous to me. If you don't want someone blowing air into a pit then outlaw all air blowing technology...not just the solution that is accessible the cheapest.

Next thing you know they'll make it illegal to have sun hit your pit while you are cooking because the sunlight could be heating your pit!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Hair dryer replacement for stoking your cooker....
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
Modern hair dryers (which are up to 2000 watts) contain a safety switch that prevent the heat output from exceeding 140F, which isn't even out of the safety range for HOLDING food, so I call B.S. on raising the temperature of a pit that is IN USE by anything of any value since most of the heat will be lost in the air blowing toward the pit unless you cut a hole open large enough to actually insert the blow dryer, in which case now you actually have the heat inside the pit and thus are partially cooking on electric, which is actually illegal.

Just seems ridiculous to me. If you don't want someone blowing air into a pit then outlaw all air blowing technology...not just the solution that is accessible the cheapest.

Next thing you know they'll make it illegal to have sun hit your pit while you are cooking because the sunlight could be heating your pit!
The same illegal logic applies to the "hot rod" starter in most pellet pits. Relight a pit with your food in it and you are out of bounds. If the hot rod comes on due to a reset and you have an active fire, then you are okay. But, if the fire it out, you gotta pull all of your meat before you restart.

Those pellet hot rods is the equivelant of cooking a packer brisket in an Easy Bake Oven. The food would rot before it was cooked if that was your only heat source. But those are the rules. The hair dryer seems pretty consistant with what KCBS has done in the past. I'm not surprised it is illegal.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Those pellet hot rods is the equivelant of cooking a packer brisket in an Easy Bake Oven. The food would rot before it was cooked if that was your only heat source.
That sir sounds like a challenge!!!!

But I'm gonna need a much bigger EBO!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Cokyjara
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just checked my hairdryer my wife uses and it got to 178 on my thermometer probe, and its a 1500 watt. If your fire has gone out or is basically snuffed to low, by adding 178 degree heat will add heat to your smoker and will heat back up much, much quicker than a fan alone which will require the heat source to heat the air coming in also. Why the rules seem to be a side note to many is amazing! I guess they are for the other guy?
Cokyjara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Pack-A-Smokes
On the road to being a farker

We actually tried it during a practice and it did raise the temp much faster and higher than a Guru does, at least on a WSM it does.
While I don't agree with all the rules, they are the rules. Of course when I first started competing, I had a guy tell me, "you only can hope the guy next to you follows the rules as close as you do".
'There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment,'- Nick Saban
Pack-A-Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #22
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Is there a single source of all the clarifications like this, or should we all be reviewing the BOD minutes so we don't get caught with an errant hair dryer or something? (BTW, we have tried the hair dryer on a WSM at home...eventually it melted. Maybe not the right equipment to be using anyway.)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #23
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Is there a single source of all the clarifications like this, or should we all be reviewing the BOD minutes so we don't get caught with an errant hair dryer or something? (BTW, we have tried the hair dryer on a WSM at home...eventually it melted. Maybe not the right equipment to be using anyway.)
Rep advisories, but I haven't checked lately to see if they are up to date. Check Downloads in the Member section.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Another thing that needs to be changed, in my opinion. Why can't KCBS send the rule changes / clarifications to everyone? That way cooks and judges would be up to date as well as the Reps. The office has everyone's e-mail addy and it doesn't cost any more to send it to a large group (all members) than to a small one (Reps only).
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #25
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

WOW BBQ is so boring, I cannot believe they wasted time on this! hahahaha

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #26
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Why is it illegal to have these said fans on smokers? I though heat control is wanted. is it because then everyone has the same advantage?

thanks