• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Compound Butter

all about the que

Reaction score
I've been reading some threads that continuously mention using compound butter. I'm not sure what this is. From the little research that I have done, is it just melting butter and mixing your seasonings with it? I'm wanting to use some on a turkey this thanksgiving.

You can make your own compound butter. Just take some butter and allow it to get soft. Then add in whatever herbs and spices you want in it. Then put it back into the fridge to harden.

One of the popular presentations is to roll it in wax/parchment paper or plastic wrap and twist the ends nice and tight, then allow it to harden. Slice it so you get nice medallions of it.

Don't melt it, just leave it out on the counter to soften for a few hours then add your seasonings and mash/mix together with a fork. Best to make a day or two before to let your flavors marry. For turkey I like a combo of fresh thyme, parsley and a little sage.

You don't want to melt the butter.. just soften it. I generally just leave out to get to room tempature

Take the softened butter and add whatever you want in the compound butter(herbs, spices, etc) and then mash together with a fork so its all mixed together(some people use a mixer, I do it by hand)

Then place the butter in the center of plastic wrap, wax paper, or parchment paper and roll it up in to a log

Then chill the butter until it hardens back up and then you can cut slices off your compound butter as you need them.

Yeah, no melting. I really like sweet compound butters (honey butter and vanilla cinnamon butter are my favorites).

Anchovy, shallot and garlic go great on a steak.

Only melt the butter if you want it "clarified". You have to skim off the impurities (milk solids and water).
This will give the butter a higher smoke point.
Let it return to room temperature then make your compound butter.

I make a blue cheese and herb compound butter that I use on steaks sometimes. I also like a nice lemon, bbq rub, and herb compound butter for poultry.

Back