MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #10291
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmhardie View Post
I used the Permatex Red Hi Temp red RTV sealant to mod my UDS to add a domed lid and seal up around the air intakes at the bottom. On the first trial run, I built a small fire to test the temp performance, etc. I noticed a chemical type smell coming through the exhaust vents. I've seen plenty of posts using this product and would assume that if its not safe for a UDS, that would be well documented here. However, I'm really concerned about off gassing during the cook. I don't want my guests getting ill from my modded rig! Any input would be appreciated
I pulled this from another post here on the BBQB: The Permetex site said this:
" When heated to temperatures above 300 degrees F. in the presence of air, this product can form formaldehyde vapors. Formaldehyde is a potential cancer hazard and a known skin and respiratorysensitizer. Safe handling conditions may be maintained by keeping vapor concentrations below the OSHA permissible limit for formaldehyde"

Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #10292
ed.
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Job well done.
Thank Doc, this forum is insane.
ed. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #10293
mvzoom
Found some matches.

Blokes. I've build my UDS and have done a few good smokes in it. Couple of questions that I have for the more experienced:

1. My lid (dome weber) isn't airtight. It's not too bad, but there is airflow there. How important is a seal on the lid to maintaining temp? Mine seems to hold a steady temp ok - do I need to make sure that lid is 100% airtight? I'm using the normal Weber airflow adjuster in the lid as a chimney.

2. The chimney - or lack of.. would it be better for the smoker to have a proper chimney, rather than the weber opening in the lid? Ie... that would help convection and airflow, no?

3. My firepit has two rings for different charcoal loads - a very large one which sits about 1.5" off the side of the barrel (so around 18-19" in diameter) and a smaller one which sits inside this and is around 10". The 10" ring will take 8-9# of fuel, the large one will take 30#. This happened because the first firebox I built was way too big for the UDS, the coals were too spread out. I've so far used a max of around 8# in my UDS and got a steady 120degC for around 8 hours of burn time. Does this sound about right? I need to get this bit right for planning a long burn - how much fuel do you guys need for a 13 hour butt smoke?

I'll get some pics up soon - thanks for your help here!

Cheers - Mike
mvzoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #10294
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

mvzoom, My Weber lid is not perfect either. I found it had smoke billowing out in one spot say 12:00 and at say 6:00, I found a squeeze of the lid fix it. If its your barrel use a aluminum foil as a gasket for the lid. A little air leak shouldn't make to much of a difference on a smoke but will make it hard to shut down. Over time the smoke will seal a lot of the leaks.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #10295
chad350ss
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I read this thread front to back loved the idea and everybodies' imput and designs so i took the plunge and built one myself, here is what I ended up with. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles yet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121109_132740.jpg (86.4 KB, 759 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #10296
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice paint Chad
cheapbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #10297
mvzoom
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
mvzoom, My Weber lid is not perfect either. I found it had smoke billowing out in one spot say 12:00 and at say 6:00, I found a squeeze of the lid fix it. If its your barrel use a aluminum foil as a gasket for the lid. A little air leak shouldn't make to much of a difference on a smoke but will make it hard to shut down. Over time the smoke will seal a lot of the leaks.
Yeah thanks - I didnt think it'd make much of a difference assuming the temp was stable and in the range that I wanted.

Any feedback on the fuel quantities?
mvzoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #10298
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed. View Post
Thank Doc, this forum is insane.
We are glad you found us.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #10299
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvzoom View Post
Yeah thanks - I didnt think it'd make much of a difference assuming the temp was stable and in the range that I wanted.

Any feedback on the fuel quantities?
I fill my basket full every smoke (16.6 lb. bag & 3-4 fist size chunks of white oak using the minion method). When I done cooking I close off the intakes and exhaust and snuff it out. Usually within an hour its out. On my next cook I shake the ash out of the basket then reuse what is left. I then add wood chunks and top off with more charcoal or lump. I usually only use 1/4 -1/2 of the fuel for a cook (8-10 hours). I have let it go just to see how long it would last on a full basket and lasted over 24 hours. I have thought about making a smaller basket for things like fish and chicken for faster cooks but I use so little fuel with a big basket I haven't bothered.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #10300
Sizzl
Got Wood.

I get the same results. 20# of B & B Lump will burn 24 hrs. 275deg. One cap off of lid with no chimney, one 3/4 open, one 3/4 half closed on the intake
Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #10301
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default Permatex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
We're gonna need more info.

How did you clean out your drum liner?

Did you burn it out? If so, how long?

Additional build specs too....
Standard uds build. Expanded metal basket 3" off floor, food 24" above that, three 3/4 intakes. I used the RTV to seal a band of steel around the top (on the outside of the band) to attach stove rope to accomodate a domed lid. The other application of the rtv was to seal around the intakes (again, on the outside of the drum). A little of the rtv leaked into the fire chamber around the top of one intake. As far as the liner goes, it was sandblasted out. I've cooked on it with the flat lid prior to the mods.
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #10302
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
I fill my basket full every smoke (16.6 lb. bag & 3-4 fist size chunks of white oak using the minion method). When I done cooking I close off the intakes and exhaust and snuff it out. Usually within an hour its out. On my next cook I shake the ash out of the basket then reuse what is left. I then add wood chunks and top off with more charcoal or lump. I usually only use 1/4 -1/2 of the fuel for a cook (8-10 hours). I have let it go just to see how long it would last on a full basket and lasted over 24 hours. I have thought about making a smaller basket for things like fish and chicken for faster cooks but I use so little fuel with a big basket I haven't bothered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzl View Post
I get the same results. 20# of B & B Lump will burn 24 hrs. 275deg. One cap off of lid with no chimney, one 3/4 open, one 3/4 half closed on the intake
What's the size of your baskets?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #10303
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORY View Post
What's the size of your baskets?
I'd be curious as to know as well. I've seen people use the charcoal grate out of a 18" Weber or a 22.5" Weber. That's a pretty big size difference.

Mine is 13.5" in diameter and works fine.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #10304
sweetheatbbq
On the road to being a farker

Starting my first UDS build today. Assuming it turns out I may not have to lug the JOS to all the comps. I have never had a smoker without a water pan. Should I not bother putting a water pan in the UDS?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #10305
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Don't bother with the water pan. If you use the minion method to light the coals, they'll never get hot enough to worry about over temperature.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker