Entry level smoker suggestions?

T

thefabledpig

Hello, just wanting to get up and running ninja style.
1. I need something to cook on.
2. I drive a tiny hatchback.
3. I have a tiny budget <100

I have considered turning a retro fridge into a smoking rig, but am concerned about lead paint.

I do not mind being creative or unconventional, but want to keep it simple.

I am a ceramic artist and I own a kiln, any chance I could make my own egg style cooker?

I just want to make some food my papa would be proud of.

Any ideas?

That's what I was thinking, for under $100 and to compete, man, about the only thing would be a couple of Weber kettles used. Look for 22.5" models. There is just about nothing else for that price and will fit into a hatchback.

I think you could fab up some mini WSM's and cook on those and they should fit in your hatch back... I would scour for a Full sized WSM and try and use one of those and a kettle.

I am planning to compete :)

What type of competitions? That makes a huge difference.

If you're serious about the $100 budget, then the suggestion for a Weber kettle would be good for home, but limiting at competitions. For that budget, I would suggest build a UDS.

But, one may not be enough, and what about all of the other stuff that you will need?

I got nuttin' that would fit in a small car for under a hudred bucks that you can cook all four comp meats on. Perhaps a used WSM from craig's list...or a couple of used kettles. Good luck!

I got nuttin' that would fit in a small car for under a hudred bucks that you can cook all four comp meats on. Perhaps a used WSM from craig's list...or a couple of used kettles. Good luck!

What JD said... craigslist and find a used WSM best entry level smoker...

With entry fees, meat, supplies, it costs about $600 to compete in a KCBS contest. Looking for a sub-$100 smoker might not be a good idea. The 22" WSM is probably the best low end choice, or just building a UDS.

You also have a small car...so...what's in the back seat? Maybe this is an option. :becky:

Find independently wealthy teammates to share the expense, preferrably w/ great smokers or rigs! In all seriousness though, about the cheapest way to cook the various meats at the same time would be 2 to 3 UDS drums, no less than 2. Still prob going to be more than 100 unless you know people to give you unlined drums for free.

It is part of the fun having the budget, and overcoming obstacles.
Thanks for all the great suggestions!
I am an artist, I have a tent and tables already, so figure I can just swap out the pottery for BBQ equipment :) I can squish quite a bit into my tiny car!
Since I am an absolute beginner, I think I will just compete in Back Yard division to start, and get some experience under my belt.

With entry fees, meat, supplies, it costs about $600 to compete in a KCBS contest. Looking for a sub-$100 smoker might not be a good idea. The 22" WSM is probably the best low end choice, or just building a UDS.

You also have a small car...so...what's in the back seat? Maybe this is an option. :becky:
I appreciate the humor, great link! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
If you're really just looking to BY to start and are okay with upgrading your equipment in the next 12 months, there are some decent $50 finds at Lowes that are a similar style to the WSM (just not Weber quality). We have one that we use at home and will take to comps with us to have as back up to run hot and fast if needed. It has done very well for us for the last year but we can only fit 1 butt or brisket and (at most) 12 chicken thighs.

It'll be hard to find something large enough to cook what you need at that price, but good luck!

BTW, by "Smyrna" do you mean Georgia?

This may be a straying from the topic a bit, but I'd say you should Google, "KCBS competition turn in chicken/pork/ribs/brisket" and just take a look at what you're diving into. Comps are a blast but if you've never smoked at all before and you're diving into a comp circuit, I'd hate to see you spend the couple hundred bucks for registration ALONE, plus meat, plus rub, plus foil, plus charcaol/wood/pellets, plus sauce (you get my point here), and most importantly the TIME it would take out of your weekend to not win a dime. I think it may be beneficial to try to find a team first you could learn from then work your way into the competition part. I DO NOT discourage you from getting a smoker to make delicious food on AT ALL though. BBQ in any form is meant to be fun and delicious. Best of luck!

Not sure if it's feasible, but what about building a couple of UDS's and put a reciever hitch on your car with some sort of basket? (just grasping at straws)

Not sure if it's feasible, but what about building a couple of UDS's and put a reciever hitch on your car with some sort of basket? (just grasping at straws)

I'm from north Alabama and I know I have seen little hatchbacks pulling covered trailers twice the size of the car.:becky:
So maybe....?

Also I would suggest a UDS built from a steel drum for a good smoker on the cheap. Building one myself this summer.

Last edited:
Find independently wealthy teammates to share the expense, preferrably w/ great smokers or rigs!

I think this was meant as a joke, but seriously, finding some teammates would help a lot. I usually take 3-5 guys with me, and we split expenses and winnings on the rare occasion that there are any :-D. If you get 5 guys to throw in $100, you are a lot more likely to find some workable options such as a couple WSMs. And hopefully one of them will have a truck.

Back