Eggplant Pizza

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here is something rather different. As I'm on a low carb diet, I cannot enjoy one of my favorite foods as usual. Here is a low carb version of pizza using sliced eggplants. I also make lasagna using eggplants. :thumb:

DSCN0408.jpg

Slice eggplants 1/4 to 1/2" thin. I lightly salt them and wait about an hour. This salting helps extract moisture from the eggplant.

DSCN0413.jpg

I brush them with EVOO, and add fresh pepper. (Pic taken prior to adding the pepper :doh:) From here I throw it in the oven at 450F for 20 minutes. There after I sauce, and add my toppings and put it in the oven for another 15 minutes.

DSCN0418.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

Those look good! Try the same thing with portobella mushroom caps. Clean out the gills and brush both sides with olive oil and then grill open side down for three or four minutes. then flip and fill the open side with pizza toppings and cook until done (pre cook and raw meat or toppings that take a long time to cook.

Those look good! Try the same thing with portobella mushroom caps. Clean out the gills and brush both sides with olive oil and then grill open side down for three or four minutes. then flip and fill the open side with pizza toppings and cook until done (pre cook and raw meat or toppings that take a long time to cook.

Funny you mention that. I told my wife that once they were done they looked like mushrooms. I'm definitely trying that next. Thanks!

I thought I missed another thread of Gore.:wink:
Very cool idea indeed...thanks!
Looks great!

We've done this numerous times except we actually do dip the eggplant in breadcrumbs prior to roasting to get a nice "crisp" going, adding the sauce and toppings after the first turn. It's a most excellent dish!

Back