Question Ribs

bigthirsty

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Friend of mine called and said he has about 20lbs of ribs. He knows I have a smoker so he offered to have me smoke them and we'd all enjoy them..

Question is this:

I'm assuming his ribs are frozen right now so what is the best way to prep these things before putting them on the smoker?

any help would be much appreciated..

I'll be smoking them with a PRO-Q Excel..

Pull the membrane, rinse, mustard slather, apply favorite rub, wrap in plastic wrap, fire up smoker, 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 or 2-1-1 or no foil at all, pull when they're done. Couldn't be easier 

Matt

Thaw them in a sink. Use cool running water. That is the only HD approved method for quick thawing meats.

Thaw them in a sink. Use cool running water. That is the only HD approved method for quick thawing meats.

Or you could boil them to thaw them out quicker, just wouldn't tell anyone that you did it.:shocked:

Just thaw them in the fridge for a couple of days, pull membrane, coat in rub, and smoke at 300 for 4 hours. They will be perfect.

True. Although the best way to thaw meat, albeit not quickly, is in the fridge overnight to be totally sure. Running water is good for small things like frozen scallops or fish or boneless chicken breasts but for larger things I go with the fridge :-D

Did I misinterpret this thread? I thought you were asking how to cook them. Were you asking how to thaw them or smoke them, or both?

If you foil them, my family LOVES the Johnny Trigg method. I started using real butter instead of Parkay. Just preference, not 'better'. I tried the Trigg method with SBR sauce, just a waste of sauce, I don't recommend it.

Matt

I appreciate all the posts. I'm more interested in how to properly thaw that many ribs. I'm ok on the smoking part.

Won't cook them until Sunday and the ribs are at somebody elses house. Should I tell them to pop them in the fridge on Friday night (for a Sunday cook)? Then on Saturday night hopefully they will be defrosted so I can prep them. Then cook them on Sunday?

Thanks all for any additional help..

and as payment.. here is some pron from my last batch..

34238_406961282868_751352868_4571689_993176_n.jpg

I'd take them out of the freezer and into the fridge now. They're not going to go bad in that amount of time and you want to be sure they are defrosted.

Back