MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
cheez
Full Fledged Farker

Default Dad's Day Bandera

Hey there fellow Brethren! Wow - guess I've been too damn busy lately. Haven't been here for a week or more, and it's gonna take me forever to read all the threads that are new since I was in last. Guess I better get comfortable......
Anyway, my sisters and I got my dad a Bandera for Father's Day, which was also his 65th birthday. My sis bought it at and Academy in Austin (actually Round Rock, I think [can't even say "Round Rock" without thinkin' of those awesome donuts]), and if she told me right, it seems she may have gotten a New Braunfels one; says it doesn't say Char-Broil on the box anywhere. Either way, I need to tell dad about mods, etc. Way back when I got my Bandera, (long before the Brethren), I downloaded a drawing from the old yahoo site to make the baffle. As I recall, it had measurements and so forth with it. I went to the yahoo site, and I think it is the one that says "auotcad", etc.... But this is a dead link (at least for me). Is the one here in the Brethren files the same? I'm apparently having Acrobat problems, so I can't view it right now. Or, does anyone have the other one? Any help would be appreciated.
I think I can clue him in on other mods, seasoning, etc. He's had a NBBD for years, so he certainly knows the basics. Now I just gotta wait for him to get back from Jamaica at the end of the week so he can see what he got and I can tell him all about it. This will be almost as much fun as getting your own new cooker

New Braunfels Bandera, 22.5" WSM, Weber Ranch Kettle, 5 or 6 other Weber Kettles, Party King tailgate grill, and a modded "pizza grill" that is falling apart.

Self-proclaimed President of the Canton, OH chapter, Weber Rescue Society.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

The one here is the same. I used the one here ( the one with the cut out for the water pan) to mark up a dryer vent from HD to make mine. Works fine! Load a new copy of Adobe, it is free.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Cheez
I have a couple formats of the design, and I will load them here as you ask, but I think this baffle design is a piece o crap. Way too much room for error.

When I get home and have a minute, I'll take a picture of mine.

It was Craig NM's design, but that Armadillo farker is MIA from this site.

Much simpler design. No side flanges to fark up, and one bolt assembly.

Heres the other designs, then look at my pics I'll post to change how it bolts on. I'll check pics section here to, cuz I think Mary has a Craig baffle, and he might have pics.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Bill-Chicago

Cheez
Go look in the pictures section.
Modification folder
Craig has a dozen baffles pictured titled "Baffles for Sale"

Simplistic design, slid in from the firebox, connecting with single bolt where the V cut is notched.

Top and side flanges are in the firebox, with baffle extending into the smoke chamber.

Impossible to mis-align side holes, cuz there arent any

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 06-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
cheez
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Bill, I will go look in the pictures and check the other baffle out.
The pics you posted above are the ones I was looking for, so thanks for those too. That's what I used when I got my Bandera. I laid it out full-size on a piece of cardboard and checked the fit of that on the Bandera, then used the cardboard as a template to cut one from some sheet steel. I don't know what gauge I used, but I had to use a sabre saw to cut it, then bent it in a vise with a hammer. Damn thing ought to last as long as the Bandera!

New Braunfels Bandera, 22.5" WSM, Weber Ranch Kettle, 5 or 6 other Weber Kettles, Party King tailgate grill, and a modded "pizza grill" that is falling apart.

Self-proclaimed President of the Canton, OH chapter, Weber Rescue Society.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2004, 11:55 AM   #6
Bill-Chicago

Yeah, sounds like Craig's

Mine is awesome, nice and thick

acts as a vaporizer bar when meat and crap drip onto it.

Good luck with your Dad Mods

The death of "willkat98"

Old 06-23-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Here is a pic of my modified dryer vent baffel. Water pan is now on the lowest set of tabs verses what is shown. I used the drawing as a template but made the cutout slightly smaller and then bent the edges down with pliers to make it fit and stronger. Dryer mounting flange fits the opening exactly, you only have to cut water pan opening, position and drill mounting holes, flare out sides as shown. Quick and easy MOD about $4.xx from HD.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote