Score-need quick answers to cure a pit

SLCMACK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just got home with my new BYC and need to know how to get this thing cured. I was told just to put about a coffee can full of charcoal and let it burn for about an hour? Will any type of oil work? What all do I need to put oil on: grates, inside of doors? Any quick info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sean

i use cooking spray.. pam or any other brand. or you could use crisco. i just spray it all over

Put oil on everything inside the cooking chamber. Since you said it was a new pit you will need more than a chimney. What was the recommendation from the people where you purchased you pit? Usually it takes a couple hours at 400* to get the oil cooked into the pit .

I belive that on the Klose website there is a step by step instruction area on seasoning the pits.

Dan

Here's a quik link from the Klose site which explains the initial start-up

Pit Curing

A new BBQ pit should be cured like a new iron skillet. You may chose to rub the inside of the pit with Pam, peanut oil, cooking oils, or even bacon grease left over from bacon cooked on the stove. Then you light the pit with a medium fire, say 220 degrees for those of you with smokers. Choke the smokestack control about 1/2 and let it smoke heavily. A few hours is good, the longer the better. A Pit will cure without oils, but the buildup of the resin base on the doors doesn't seem to hold very well over the years.
I have made maybe 100,000 BBQ pits, noticing the pits seated with oils seem to produce better results. Once again, be careful with green woods. Some will produce very bitter tastes. Please do not ever use green mesquite in a smoker.
I have seen people use moving blankets to retain heat during rain storms, and cold snaps with great success. Another interesting trick, in a grill, is to line the charcoal up in an "S" shape, only lighting the first end of the coals. If done properly, the charcoal should burn "down the line" thus creating a smoker effect, making grilling and smoking much easier.

Please do not use lighter fluid after applying oil or ever for that matter!

Ok, thanks brothers. I did put almost 1/2 a bag of charcoal and its up to almost 220. Should I put a small log in there to get the temp up? I have some pecan and mesquite, the bigger bags of split half logs that you can pick up at ACADEMY. I sprayed veg. oil all in the inside, grates, doors and just the total inside. Should I spray more, not sure how much I should spray. Thanks for all your replys and like always, the feeback is muchly appreciated. Thanks Sean

Shortening works well because you can kinda grab a hold of it and smear it on. I would use something with a high smoke point. I wouldn't use anything like olive oil or as such.

I used an entire large can of PAM on mine last week. Got the temps around 275 (at door temp on the main chamber) for about three hours using a little lump and several logs.

Here's the before start point (fully brushed/scraped down and washed prior to seasoning), and the after pics of the finished grates as a result of the seasoning process.

Good Luck !!!

Last edited:
Well, finally got the fire up to 260 for about 40mins. So..... I threw a half log of HICKORY on the fire!!!! I hope it wont hurt nothing...guess I will just bring the temp up sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! And, make the neighborhood smell really good!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone for your feedback... I will be ready to do some heavy smoke with pron this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

Back