MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brining question - I wanna add some booze

Hopefully I will be brining a whole chicken this weekend. Hoping because it depends on whether my order of Game Changer arrives or not.

However, I would like to some American Honey to the brine to add to the flavour profile. Does anyone have a suggestion on how much to add? And I assume I should cut the water by the amount of booze I add, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Personally, I think it's a waste of good hooch. I would suggest that if you're planning on using BBQ Sauce to add a tiny amount to the sauce and let that carry the flavor over. Plus, if it's in the sauce, and the sauce is on-the-side, the other folks eating your Q that dont like the hooch flavor in the BBQ dont have to have it... Just a thought.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
jgarcia
On the road to being a farker

I agree with the above post. Save that stuff for drinking while you are cooking.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Yup there way better places to put that stuff and it ain't in the brine but hey give it a go.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I mean, I LOVE bourbon; I drink it straight up; neat or on the rocks, in coke, etc. But, honestly, IMHO, it SUCKS on BBQ. Just my $0.02. I sure wouldnt waste good bourbon by putting it in a brine solution. If I were just hell bent to get that flavor on my Q, I'd put it in the sauce...

<--- that above from a guy who always does Patron shots [for the entire team, and in MBN the team gets quite large] before every category (whether blind turn-in or on-site). But, not IN BBQ... Nasty, IMHO. and a complete waste of good hooch.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I mean, I LOVE bourbon; I drink it straight up; neat or on the rocks, in coke, etc. But, honestly, IMHO, it SUCKS on BBQ. Just my $0.02. I sure wouldnt waste good bourbon by putting it in a brine solution. If I were just hell bent to get that flavor on my Q, I'd put it in the sauce...

<--- that above from a guy who always does Patron shots [for the entire team, and in MBN the team gets quite large] before every category (whether blind turn-in or on-site). But, not IN BBQ... Nasty, IMHO. and a complete waste of good hooch.
I'm thinking there's the answer you need right there.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Finish glaze or sauce would be the easiest to get your flavor. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
fweck
is one Smokin' Farker

It may actually dry out the meat, think of the de-icer you pour into a gas tank.
Many years ago I marinated some really nice rib eyes in a red wine the flavor from the wine was fine, but the meat was tough and dry, never did that again.
Stovetop, Camerons Gourmet Mini Smoker.
Future UDS Owner (slow build mod)
Smokin' Fast, Splashproof, Blue Thermapen

Airborne! God Bless our Troops! :amen:
KCBS CBJ
Member of the Zero's Club
CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
fweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Ignore the critics. Wines & spirits have been used in marinades for centuries. For interest check out the link below (it also leads to other links).

http://www.food.com/recipe/bourbon-marinade-93773

Also I do not hold high any comments from anyone who cooks a steak to well done - a well done steak has lost some of its essential moisture. Just to balance that a rare steak hasn't developed its flavour from the caramelisation - I go for medium rare!!!!!