How to take ribs on a houseboat trip?

canyonier

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
We will soon be going on a houseboat trip and everyone is responsible for a meal or two.
I plan to take a couple of slabs of beef ribs (prime rib bones) and a couple of slabs of pork spareribs. I'll cook the ribs in my smoker ahead of time.
We will leave home on a Wednesday morning and the ribs dinner will be Saturday evening.
I plan to take with me a portable refrigerator/freezer. That means it can be either a freezer or a refrigerator but not both at the same time.
On the houseboat we will have a propane grill and that is where I'll need to reheat the ribs.
So, should I freeze the ribs or just refrigerate them?
Should I wrap them in foil or in a plastic wrap?
Should I leave them as slabs or should I cut into individual ribs?
The next question is how to reheat the ribs on the propane grill?
Please think about this and give me some suggestions.
Thanks,
Glenn

I'm a big fan of the food saver method, which could work with ribs. Zip into half racks and then reheat for about 20 min in boiling water. If you brought a pan like a half or full sheet pan you should be able to get that boiling on a propane grill. Id go disposable since its probably gonna be torched. Maybe even go double just to be sure doesn't burn through. Ribs are tough. Something like pulled pork would be a lot easier.

I'd undercook by 1/2 -1hr. Wrap in foil and freeze. Thaw Friday and refridgerate overnight. Finish cooking in or out of foil for dinner.

How long is the trip? A few hours or a few days?

If a day outing - vacuum seal and refrigerate.
If more than a few days - vac-seal and freeze; then place in cooler.
By being frozen; aids in retainining chilled temps and has a slow thaw as well.

Place bag in boiling water to reheat... good as new.

When I do ribs I do a few slabs at a time because we take them camping. I always finish off my ribs in foil. The ones that are being saved get pulled a little early and are chucked into the freezer. Then when it time to go camping they are defrosted and placed on the gas grill and I reheat them with some sauce.

Back