MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #631
JohnVI
Got rid of the matchlight.

[QUOTE=bb0bbby;2137288]We did more pizzas Saturday night (10 total) and it was tough to keep the temp up obviously with opening it that much. I didn't put that much fuel in since I was planning on doing a butt later.
I then prepped it for it's 1st butt. I started by adding more Royal Oak lump around the outside of the existing coals at about 10pm. By 1030pm the temp had evened out at 250 and the butt was put on at 11pm. I went to bed at midnight and checked it before i went to bed. It was right on still. I checked it at 8am and what do you know...250 & holding strong! Probed the butt & it was at 190. Pulled it off at 9am and it was reading 195...couldn't believe how little fuel it used. Let it rest until lunch time & it was definitely the best pulled pork I have made in the last 2 years. I know I am going to have to replace the gaskets soon but this thing is incredible for the price.

Nice, between the gloves and popcorn machine, we may be related...
But anyway, how can you hold 250 or better yet 230 with so much lump?

I tried to hold 250 for my first cook, used the weber baskets and a lit coal on top of each basket of coal and still had issues with temp hitting 265...
I tried with my top vent open, closed with a tiny half moon, etc and same thing..
I have sealed this thing up, so doubt it that..

Any advice
JohnVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #632
bb0bbby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVI View Post
Nice, between the gloves and popcorn machine, we may be related...
But anyway, how can you hold 250 or better yet 230 with so much lump?

I tried to hold 250 for my first cook, used the weber baskets and a lit coal on top of each basket of coal and still had issues with temp hitting 265...
I tried with my top vent open, closed with a tiny half moon, etc and same thing..
I have sealed this thing up, so doubt it that..

Any advice
Haha. I just got the gloves from amazon. They're a lil slippery but much better than pullin without ;)
The popcorn machine was a gift that is used frequently
Once the pizzas were done Sat night, I all but closed the vents on top & bottom. She was barely puffin'. When i was ready to open her back up, I filled it up to the bottom of my weber grate and added 3 wood chunks. One in the middle & two on the sides. One of the chunks didnt even get burned. Having used a side smoker before & being used to using nearly a 20lb bag of kingsford per butt, I didn't want to run out of fuel while sleeping. Once it got up to 200 I all but closed the vents again until it made it to 250. I then opened the bottom just a hair & almost closed the top all the way. Maybe I am lucky and my gaskets are holding up better than others but I know the mod is inevitable. What really impressed me with this cook was how most of the fat rendered in the cooker and not in my cooler while resting. I typically end up with 1-2" of "butter" in the bottom of my cooler after resting from my old smoker. Not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be but this pork was so juicy & tender with hardly any fat left. I couldnt pick it up off the grill without it wanting to fall completely apart. The gloves came in handy here too as my spatula couldnt handle it. I cant wait to try ribs & a whole chicken. I find myself thinking about this grill maybe a little too much i think I have a Kamado Krush

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #633
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Just talked with Pitmasters and they now have a standard adaptor for the CG Acorn that works with their IQ-110 if anyone is interested. I ordered one and maybe I'll get it by the weekend.
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #634
JohnVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
Just talked with Pitmasters and they now have a standard adaptor for the CG Acorn that works with their IQ-110 if anyone is interested. I ordered one and maybe I'll get it by the weekend.
I have the partyQ, but have not done a test with it yet

It had a acorn adapter also. I used that with some modding to get an airtight sel

So to get lower temps do need to use less lump, or does volume of lump have nothing to do with temps
JohnVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #635
crpngdth2001
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqlearner View Post
I've been thinking of grabbing one but finally bought one this weekend at a local Kroger store because of the sale ($165). Will start using it next week
Still $299 here :(

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #636
Av8tor
Found some matches.

After months of debate, I to have taken the plunge........Seasoned up and ready for my first cook. I must say so far I am very impressed.
Av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #637
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I think there are enough people using this grill now that it has to be considered a very decent cooker, especially at the price point. There is nothing else like it without spending at least $200 more for some of the bottom end ceramics.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #638
Luggnut239

I just bought an Akorn and although I've only cooked some burgers on it once so far I have to say I love it. For the money I don't think it can be beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Luggnut239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #639
Av8tor
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I think there are enough people using this grill now that it has to be considered a very decent cooker, especially at the price point. There is nothing else like it without spending at least $200 more for some of the bottom end ceramics.
I agree, the only complaint that I have is the warning sticker on the inside of the dome could not be taken off completely. Even after my "seasoning" cook, it is still there. They need to come up with a better way IMHO.

BTW......My wife blames you and your videos for my purchase :)

Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #640
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tor View Post
I agree, the only complaint that I have is the warning sticker on the inside of the dome could not be taken off. Even after my "seasoning" cook, it is still there. They need to come up with a better way IMHO.

BTW......My wife blames you and your videos for my purchase :)
She wont' be blaming anyone for long after she starts reaping the rewards of cooking on it :)
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #641
bb0bbby

Best. Burgers. Ever.

I have noticed my ash pan is starting to let in a draft. Also my thermo seems to have busted a seal or something?

Best strips & kabobs ever...almost ;)

Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #642
Av8tor
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0bbby View Post
Best. Burgers. Ever.

I have noticed my ash pan is starting to let in a draft. Also my thermo seems to have busted a seal or something?

Best strips & kabobs ever...almost ;)

Is that the Wok Kooker that Char Griller sells in the first pic? Those fry's look awesome!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #643
bb0bbby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tor View Post
Is that the Wok Kooker that Char Griller sells in the first pic? Those fry's look awesome!!!
No just a cheapo from menards. It has holes in it.

The fries were a great treat! They took longer than expected due to me opening the lid too much. Still pretty new for me. Going to do wings for my boys 12th bday party this weekend.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #644
Av8tor
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
She wont' be blaming anyone for long after she starts reaping the rewards of cooking on it :)
I will make sure I tell her that YOU said that!

All kidding aside, your reviews sold me on this, I thank you!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #645
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundfred View Post
I've been debating buying a BGE, but I couldn't find a way to justify the expense to my wife. I think I just found my compromise...

Lowe's here I come!

i'm in the same boat, she gave me much less resistance when i mentioned the Akorn.
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado