MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I do deal with legislative language everyday. I read the statement as saying that grills, BBQs, etc are not banned.
That's the way read it also.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
runnoft
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
man that is terrible.. in PA.. move far south! lol we don't have any of those problems.. lol
Yeah what he said. Here in the south we have an outstanding good ratio of making some problems go away. No Chit!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Seems like you can cook, as long as it is not open pit. A bother to be sure, an imposition as well, but, hardly a deal breaker.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Do what I do, have a tattered, worn out American flag nearby. Our local law has an exemption for ceremonial fires for exactly this purpose. "no sir, occifer, I'm just properly disposing of our National Emblem". Burp.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I'm amazed there are any rich yankees left up there to mess y'all up, I thought they had all already moved to Florida and here in western NC. that's why I like living out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere-I can build huge bonfires, pee off the front porch, shoot automatic weapons all day, skin deer hung off a tree in the yard, let my grass get waist high, or anything else that I durn well want to do.
Now that is my kind of living!!! Do you have a still in along the creek bed to make some fresh shine

Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
When you cook, cook allot so when the FD shows up to put out your pit you can feed them first they might just change their mind. FF like good food.

As the fire chief of a small N.W. Iowa community that would work me and my guys!!!! In out Community and most in this part of the State when a burn ban is put on by the State Fire Marshall you can still Q, u can use fire pits as long as they are covered by a screen.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
Yeah what he said. Here in the south we have an outstanding good ratio of making some problems go away. No Chit!!!
You have burn bans there, from time-to-time. We had one at Bistineau a few years back. We got a permit to have fires, but we had to jump through some hoops, and agree to some conditions.

Here in Texas, burn bans are done by county judge. How they are enforced is controlled by each city within that county, based on that cities capacity to deal with a wildfire.

My city allows charcoal grilling during burn bans in residential areas (where a wildfire is highly unlikely). In more rural areas of the city, it's gas and electric only for grilling.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4634 View Post
Now that is my kind of living!!! Do you have a still in along the creek bed to make some fresh shine

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #24
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I do deal with legislative language everyday. I read the statement as saying that grills, BBQs, etc are not banned.
I guess I should have posted the ordinance. The statement I posted was an intrepretation from a municipal employee.

In section 7 it states “Permitted fuels in food preparation devices allowed by this ordinance include only charcoal, lava rock, propane gas, natural gas according to AGA or UGI specifications and electricity. Only Commercially manufactured lighter fluid and other commercially manufactured starters intended specifically for lighting fires for barbecuing and other cooking of food may be used in any grill, pit, or other approved food preparation device”
I did speak with the employee who posted the warning on line and she said that there has been an issue lately with the Chiminea and fire bowls people have at their homes. She wasn't specific, but, I know that there was at least one fire caused by those devices.
As for the fire department coming by, Never a problem. I am a member, and for years I was one of the pitmasters for the Chicken BBQ's... I surely could not turn myself in...LOL!
Maybe I was just being overly concerned since I making the change over from charcoal to stick burning.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I'm thinking that it's the case of a few irresponsible people wrecking it for the rest.

Someone probably used gasoline to light their chiminea and burned up their house.

I say let Darwinism weed these people out.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I did not know you live in Detroit.
Lol no chit! Try doing that in Dearborn though...

To the OP, I think they're prolly just trying to dissuade all the people with the cute little firepits from burning the city down. I think you'll be ok firing up a charcoal smoker. Like bludawg said just make a little extra Q in case they do show up.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #27
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I did not know you live in Detroit.
I do have some first cousins in Flint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
My folks moved out there from NJ....but I can tell you they're the furthest thing from the yuppie NY'er mentality.

Me personally I'm looking forward to moving out (although not nearly as far as I would really like). More and more I find that I really dislike the town I live in and the people (both the kids themselves and the parents of the kids) that my children are getting to know.

I'm most definitely not a "mountain man" type...don't hunt...fish once in a blue moon but never cleaned and kept my catch. But I like to BBQ...and I like to try to do home projects on my own within reason...Apparently things like mowing your own yard, putting in a garden and putting up a clothesline are extremely frowned upon in my town...ironic thing is growing up the town I lived in now was all working class WWII vets. Real shame where things have gotten to.

Now I'm just trying to bide my time til I can get out to west Jersey and get a little more property and not worry about my neighbors one way or the other.
I can't imagine living under all those ordinances and condescending neighbors. I couldn't imagine living without a big vegetable garden, for that matter. Mosta people around here have chickens running around in their yards, and you can geneally see at least a dozen cows from any given place at any given time, along with goats, horses, mules, donkeys, llamas, alpacas, guinesfowl, and such. One of our local amusements is sitting on the porch shooting at carpenter bees with a .22 pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4634 View Post
I don't personally.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I can't imagine living under all those ordinances and condescending neighbors. I couldn't imagine living without a big vegetable garden, for that matter. Mosta people around here have chickens running around in their yards, and you can geneally see at least a dozen cows from any given place at any given time, along with goats, horses, mules, donkeys, llamas, alpacas, guinesfowl, and such. One of our local amusements is sitting on the porch shooting at carpenter bees with a .22 pistol.
Took me until this week to figure out why my town bothers me so much. Town was pretty much built to be post WWII housing for the returning soldiers and their families. Of which included my grandfather and grandmother whose house was about 5 blocks away from the one I currently live. I can tell you straight up my grandmother ALWAYS had a garden in her back yard and my grandfather would let someone else mow his grass over his dead body. Apparently sometime between then and now my town turned into yuppie central where no one does anything for themselves anymore.

Anyway, to the point, I understand the ordinance to a degree...however I'd love someone come try to tell me I cannot cook Q in my back yard.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

Around here, when they have burn bans for dry weather, or within some city limits, the exception is always that they can't mess with you, if you are cooking on the fire. That's why, when you burn leaves, or fallen branches, you keep a pack of hot dogs and a coat hanger close by.