MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
DBrentster
Got Wood.

Default Turning in all chicken drums

From what I've seen and read (only having done one comp myself). It seems like 95% of teams turn in thighs. Thighs have the common challenge of crisping the skin.

Typically I can get some really nice crisp on my chicken legs and the chicken can be quite juicy. I am wondering do judges not like drums or why people mostly go thighs.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

most people go with thighs because that is the way the game is played. (unspoken rules, of course) if you want to better your odds on getting a chicken call, stick to thighs..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Thighs have proven to be the preferred choice for consistent winnings.

That said, I've cooked legs almost exclusively mainly to be a bit different and for ease of prep.

It's been hit or miss. A few top 5 or 10 calls, several middle of the pack placings and one or two toward the bottom.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrentster View Post
Typically I can get some really nice crisp on my chicken legs and the chicken can be quite juicy.
If you can get juicy + crisp then go for it. It seems as though getting the skin right is a problem a lot of times.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Default Drums

I like drums! I've judged 5 comps in the past year and out of all the chicken I've judged, I only seen 1 leg turn in box. I think after seeing all the thighs, the legs really have to look good I judged a contest in Warsaw, Mo this year and I'd like to take my hat off to the team that turned in ribs with no garnish and no sauce, hope you did well.

Last edited by BRBBQ; 06-30-2008 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: more info
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

I've thought about turning in legs before because I think it would be easy to arrange to make a very nice looking box. This is a practice box I did once a couple of years ago, just to see how it would look. Didn't take the time to garnish or clean up the box

Never had the guts to try it at a competition,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken 9-4-06.jpg (115.0 KB, 89 views)

Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
I judged a contest in Warsaw, Mo this year and I'd like to take my hat off to the team that turned in ribs with no garnish and no sauce, hope you did well.
I can't answer that specifically, but I can tell you the 1st place rib team got 9's across the board for apperance with 4 on top of 4 on a parsley bed.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I haven't turned a box with all drums in, but I did a mixed box in Pine Bluff this year and got good appearance scores 989998. However, the taste and tenderness scores were all over the place due to judges getting samples of different pieces. I won't try that again.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Just what Canjun says.

You can turn in a mixture of chicken, but you need to make sure that it is all good. A judge will take what they prefer. If they prefer white meat and all the juicies ran out before hitting the table, be ready for that.

I always say put out a consistent product. In ribs, I try to use all from one slab.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
DBrentster
Got Wood.

Great comments to consider, everyone - thx