• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

**Update** New York/Dr.BBQ Real Deal BBQ cooking Class.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ok folks, with the Kingsford thing out of the way, i can focus on setting up the class.

A few things.

We have ONE opening due to a dropout, if anyone wants to jump on it. I will look to see if theres anyone waiting still interest.. If you ARE interested, please PM me. First one gets it.

What you must bring.
  1. Your own Tables, chairs, cutting boards, injectors, coolers(hot meats), and your cooking setup. You dont need to be full blown competition. Just bare bones.
  2. Just like KCBS garnish is optional. :biggrin: If you want to use garnish in the box, bring it.
  3. We encourage everyone, (especially the locals) to bring there own cooker if possible. We will have cookers on site. 2 lang 84s, a few Spicewines, MOAB and my BYC, but it would be be best to be using your own.
  4. We will supply the rubs, injections, paper and foil goods.
  5. You bring the meats or order thru WillyB. I will be posting a spreadsheet soon for you to confirm your meat orders from the previous thread.
  6. We will be cooking overnight, so prepare to keep warm and comfortable.
I think thats about it for now. I will keep posting as things come up.

We are local, but it's going to be tough for us to bring cookers since we don't have a trailer right now. We'd like to get in on some of the available space on one of the cookers you're bringing.
Like I mentioned, we can bring some extra lump, 5 or 6 bags, more if needed, just let me know.
I was wondering if you guys have or need turn-in boxes. I don't have any right now but I think they're only about 12 bucks at Sam's for 100 or so.
We'll show up early to help with setup and if there's anything else we can do, let me know.

There should be a decent anount of light at night since it's right on Hempstead Tpke. but did Dean mention what the status of lighting will be at night in the parking lot ? If there is electricity, I have a halogen spot light (like the one if the pic -not mine) that's pretty strong that I could bring..

Otherwise, lanterns for those who have them might be a good idea.

Last edited:
What about cleanup? Knives, boards, hands, etc.?

MilitantSquatter said:
There should be a decent anount of light at night since it's right on Hempstead Tpke. but did Dean mention what the status of lighting will be at night in the parking lot ? If there is electricity, I have a halogen spot light (like the one if the pic -not mine) that's pretty strong that I could bring..

Otherwise, lanterns for those who have them might be a good idea.

Those will be shining on your new cooker won't they??:lol: :lol:

spicewine said:
Those will be shining on your new cooker won't they??:lol: :lol:

Hey vinny, if you need some advice here, I'm the go to guy for that. Used those kinda lights to illuminate my Spicewine at the first comp I had her at. That's when Wayne called me Hollywood. :lol: Well that and the Hollywood car duster. don't forget that! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Hey vinny, if you need some advice here, I'm the go to guy for that. Used those kinda lights to illuminate my Spicewine at the first comp I had her at. That's when Wayne called me Hollywood. :lol: Well that and the Hollywood car duster. don't forget that! :wink:

We called Jeff alot of things for breaking out the duster.... :shock: He needed a turntable to put that smoker on..... just like the autoshow.:twisted:

HoDeDo said:
We called Jeff alot of things for breaking out the duster.... :shock: He needed a turntable to put that smoker on..... just like the autoshow.:twisted:

So he already had the fake nails, caps on his teeth, stiletto heels, and silk dress?:cool:

Vinny, Good idea, bring the lights.

Kirk, there is a hose hookup we can use.

everyone.. I need meat orders!

I checked the other thread and only a few of you responded.

Please post here your orders, or if you will be bringing your own. I'd like a response either way from everyone attending. Attached is a spreadsheet of what I have so far.

Attachments

• drbbq meat order.xls
    14 KB · Views: 23
Ok I checked the other thread I did ask for the Ray Special...I would like to double the chicken and the ribs though, is there something more or someplace else I should be posting this please let me know :).

Also I had been planning on repainting my smoker before the class (rust issues) but since the fire (in the house, not the smoker)there will be no way I will get it done. I see alot of people asking for smoker space is this going to be a problem if I dont bring mine? I will gladly buy whatever kind of fuel is requested, just let me know.

If it's going to be cold I have what is called a ram jet heater, only to be used outside. It runs off a propane tanks and coud keep a good size area (like a canopy or pop-up) warm.

Just let me know if there's anything else we need. Thanks.

Being the po'boy that I be, I would really like to bum some cooker space on one of them fancy big name cookers. I have never had the pleasure of cooking on a quality rig and would really like to see what all the fuss is about.

I am not above offering a to bribe my way in with whiskey, vodka or the spirits of choice.:cool:

BBQchef33 said:
Vinny, Good idea, bring the lights.

Kirk, there is a hose hookup we can use.

everyone.. I need meat orders!

I checked the other thread and only a few of you responded.

Please post here your orders, or if you will be bringing your own. I'd like a response either way from everyone attending. Attached is a spreadsheet of what I have so far.

It looks like I am in the spreadsheet for 1 each for the meats but some others are down for 2. Let me know if 1 is enough of each item. I have 2 WSMs now.

BigBarry said:
It looks like I am in the spreadsheet for 1 each for the meats but some others are down for 2. Let me know if 1 is enough of each item. I have 2 WSMs now.
I think for the most part, those requesting 2 or more of everything are coming with 2 or more people.

Phil,

I wanted to add a rack of ribs (2 total). Excel is not my forte. Can't wait until the course.

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Back