How many kilos / pounds charcoal for a 20 hour burn?

Sorry I missed a chunk of the thread UDS, but yes approx 11 hours at 275 (again might be a little quicker if you spike up or a little longer if you let the temps drop occasionally). Glad you got it worked out.

Lots of good suggestions here. :thumb:

Don't forget the cardinal rule -- it's done when it's done. Suggested cooking times should be treated as "estimates." Go for "probe tender," not a particular time or internal temperature.

CD

My Select briskets in. 12-15 lb range take 6-8 hrs at 300* but the Choice Brisket I've done of same size took 10.5 hrs because of the higher fat content....... So If running at 275* I'd wrap at 5 hrs and start probing every 45 minutes at 6 hrs.

I just did an overnight butt on Christmas Eve. Got 15 hours on a kettle at 225 with a snake burn of 10# of Stubb's. No ATC, alarms, or thermometers; just set and forget! The crazy part is that it was 8 degrees outside with a 10-15mph wind! I built a plywood shack around the cooker and woke up every 3 hours just to check. I ended up not touching anything on it all night and could have slept straight thru. Honestly, I was shocked and fully expected to use over 20# in those conditions. It's the first time I've fully enclosed my cooker, but with efficiency and consistency like that, it won't be the last!
1387950426_zpsee06983e.jpg

1387950450_zps9108c9f5.jpg

My Select briskets in. 12-15 lb range take 6-8 hrs at 300* but the Choice Brisket I've done of same size took 10.5 hrs because of the higher fat content....... So If running at 275* I'd wrap at 5 hrs and start probing every 45 minutes at 6 hrs.
It's amazing how much more time choice can take.

Back