Discada handles?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy Brehtren.

I have a thick discada, 20.25" diameter, no handles. I have used it a couple of times on my turkey fryer burner, but would like to use it on my Performer and kettles.

I figured if I could rig some handles to it, it would sit on the rim of the grill and be stable, with adequate space for air flow for the charcoal.

The problem - I don't hace access to a welder (or welding skills), nor do I have a drill press.

Any ideas on the best way for me to attach some handles to my discada?

Thanks!

You could just call a local welding shop and see if they'll do it for you. Shouldn't cost much at all.

A welding, wrought iron shop, or even mechanic shop will have a small welder laying around and will probably do it for a few bucks or a few beers. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is drilling holes and using nuts and bolts.

OK. I tried contacting a welding shop sometime ago for another project and they didn't seem very interested in making a charcoal basket for my UDS. Ended up making it myself (no welding) and it turned out great.

I'll shop around and try again. I was going to try and buy the parts myself (some kind of steel bar or rebar and springs) and then just have them do the welding.

I sure there vocaational school in your area, or a local high school shop. At our school we weld for free

Buy a set of vise grips and use them as needed. You don't have to weld on handles but I am sure it would be nice.

In the interim just get a set of long vise grips and have at it.

Don't go to a pro welder and ask him to work for beers. You will get a very short and probably unfriendly answer. Good fabricators charge something like $90/hour and would charge a minimum of one hour's time for this job.

That said, shear a couple pieces of flat bar to length, punch two holes, drill a 5/16" hole down the center of a wood dowel, bolt through with a long 1/4-20 bolt, weld to disc .. that's how I did mine. When I get a buddy with a wood lathe owing me a favor, I'll get some custom turned hardwood handles. Until then, ugly but very functional.

But you are mixing up burner design and handle design. You want your handles to stay cool, right, that's the whole point. If they act as standoffs so hot air can go beneath, they will get as hot as the hot air, which in this case is very hot indeed.

seattlepitboss

Back