MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
NCsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Testing the IQ110 again

Well I guess to start off with I will tell you that I have used the IQ twice on my Webber 22.5 with good results but I bought this thing to use on a UDS. I have two UDS but decided to build another one just for the IQ. I started with a closed top drum and cut the top off with a chisel and then grounded the rim all the way around with a auto body grinder until the Webber lid fit snug. The only other thing I did different is I only put one draft hole in the bottom wihch I installed a 3/4 X 3" pipe nipple. Everthing else about the drum build is the same.

I started the cook this morning around 7:30 using 8 lb of Cowboy Lump and lite it with my propane torch right in the middle. I left the lid off to let the coal catch as I went in to get the 5 lb pork butt. Before putting the butt on I hooked up the IQ and set it to 250 and put the lid on with the damper on the lid closed down half way. The fan started blowing and the gren light came on blinking and with in 5 min it was a steady green. So far so good, so I lifted the lid to put the butt on and add a fist size piece of pecan and as stated in the instruction the lights started blinking red green red green. After putting lid back on it continued to blink for 3 min and then went stedy red indicating a hot condition. This lasted for another 8 min then went steady geen. Lifting the lid alowed in oxy fueling the fire so it took a few min to settle back down. It is now 12:30 pm and the butt is at 160 and the IQ is maintaining a durm temp in the range of +/- 5 deg since starting the cook so at this point I will say that I am pleased at the way the IQ110 is working. I am new at this picture posting so forgive if they dont tell the story.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
gooose53
Full Fledged Farker

Noticed your temp probe is going in through the lid. Have you considered a small hole in the body for the probe or is there a reason for using the lid?

Doug

Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
NCsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Lazy and cold at this time. Three things I need to do to finish the UDS is drill hole as suggested, build a shelf on side of drum and put another cooking grate above the lower one when and if it gets warm again. I think we are going into the ice age again. Will get it done before cooking on it again.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

My IQ110 should be here tomorrow, I have a pork butt ready for Tuesday to test it out.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
D-Rell
Got Wood.

How did the cook turn out?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rell View Post
How did the cook turn out?
Since it is just now Tuesday morning I will have to let you know once I actually cook. Just now getting it all fired up and ready to go.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
D-Rell
Got Wood.

I was actually wanted to know how NCsmoker's final product turned out, and his final analysis of the IQue 110

Old 01-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
NCsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

D-Rell The butt came out great and after the 3 cooks Ii have done with it, over all I am pleased with the IQue110. I need to come up with a way to waterproof it which may be as simple as putting a clear plastic bag over it and leave one end open for air intake. For the price it's a winner.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

5 hours after I fired mine up it is still coasting along at 235 with a nice thin blue smoke coming out of my UDS. Seems perfect so far.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

now my question is how are you guys (ncsmoker and ajp) running your exhaust vents? I see NCsmoker you noted you went half way on your UDS, though you also said you've tried this on your webber (wsm or kettle?) My fear is that I usually find myself with a good amount of smoke between charcoal and wood when using the minion method on my wsm and closing down the exhaust might have that smoke hang around the meat a little too long.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

I run mine wide open, just like when I don't use the iQue.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

and no big temp swings? Is it windy at all? I guess it might be too early to tell in the middle of your first run. I was all about one of these and went to finally pull the trigger and notcied the price jump. Now I dont wanna spend the money and have it be a disappointment when the nanoQ is less than 40% more money, and more established.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Use coupon code bubbaboard to get get $20 off.

No swings at all so far there is a slight breeze outside right now but nothing bad.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
NCsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

I closed the damper down to around 1/8 since the instructions say it needs some resisntance to push aginist. I can also see some smoke come from around the rim of both my kettle and UDS when the fan kicks in. As far as wind I did not see anything during my cooks that would indicate a difference but I think something as simple as my waterproofing would take care of that to.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the coupon code, I said fark it and ordered one! Just hopes it comes in before superbowl weekend so I can try this sucker out!

**And sorry for the hijack NC!**