• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Never Cut Wood... But built a Table (w/pics)

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have never cut wood in my life with the exception of Jr High School shop class where I made a wonderful telephone book holder. I decided to give this a try...

I picked up a few tools and materials to try to build a kamado table for my Big Joe...

TableBuild-01.jpg

I bought some lumber and cut it all down to size and sanded it...

Kamado-02.jpg

Assembled the bottom shelf...

Kamado-04.jpg

Attached the 4x4 legs and put the wheels on...

Kamado-05.jpg

Added the framing for the table top...

Kamado-06.jpg

Added the table top...

Kamado-07.jpg

Being fairly level was a bonus!

I only farked up a couple things. I had to go get another 2x4 this morning because SOMEHOW I managed to cut one an inch too short. This table is also far from perfect but as a novice carpenter, I'm pretty happy with the results. The only thing left I can fark up is cutting the hole in the top for the Big Joe... we'll see how that goes next...

You did a fine job John.

Can't wait to see it working for you.

Keep us updated.

Dave

Last edited:
Close enough for Gv't work ( better in fact:-D) Looking at the pics I don't appear to be a First attempt, your HS wood shop teacher would be proud.:thumb:

Looks Good so Far...Cant wait to see the finished product !! I want to do something similar for My Akorn !!

You've done a fine job. Just remember, measure twice and cut once. It will save you those extra trips to the lumber yard.

You've done a fine job. Just remember, measure twice and cut once. It will save you those extra trips to the lumber yard.

^+1. Or, get an extra stick or two when you buy wood. It adds up quick and gives you an excuse to use all them fancy new toys to build more chit.

Looks good man, the hardest part is lifting the thing in the hole. You have a plan for that yet? A pot lifter is ideal.

You're going to need some help to put her in for sure!! The build looks great! What color stain you have in mind?

You're going to need some help to put her in for sure!! The build looks great! What color stain you have in mind?

I'm still undecided if I'm going to stain it at all. I used pressure treated lumber, so this stuff would have to dry for 3-4 weeks before having stain applied. Sometime over the next two days I have to decide if I want to put the grill in the table or wait a month to stain it and then put it into production. Tough decision...

I'm still undecided if I'm going to stain it at all. I used pressure treated lumber, so this stuff would have to dry for 3-4 weeks before having stain applied. Sometime over the next two days I have to decide if I want to put the grill in the table or wait a month to stain it and then put it into production. Tough decision...

I build decks for a living so I am more familiar with treated wood than one needs to be, it will dry regardless of whether it gets wet or not. There is no need to keep it dry. The boards are able to get air movement on all sides now, you will be surprised how fast they dry out.

I have materials delivered on Fridays, by the time I start the deck on Monday the boards that are on the outside of the lumber pile are relatively dry. The ones in the middle are still saturated and much heavier.

Back