MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:32 AM   #1
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Cooking With Liquid Smoke

Since the weather is going to be so bad, I'll have to resort to using the oven for my Super Bowl cooking. I've got country style ribs and wings to do. I bought 2 new roasters with racks so the meat won't be laying in the fat and juices. I also bought a bottle of liquid smoke.

Questions: Should I prep the meat as if it was going into the smoker and use each roasting pan as if it were a water pan in the smoker and add the liquid smoke to the water?

Should I brush the liquid smoke onto the meat as the bottle says and then rub and not put any in the water?

Should I do both, or will this make it too smokey?

I've never used liquid smoke, so all suggestions are welcome, even if it is to forget about using it. LOL

Thanks Guys!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

One of my favorite things to eat is country style ribs cooked in a crockpot or a roaster.
I rub the meat with a small mix of olive oil and liquid smoke(a little goes a long way.) then coat with my favorite rib rub. Toss it all into the roaster/crock add about 3 tblsp of water/beer/wine/etc.. just to keep the meat from burning to the bottom of the roaster( after a few minuets the juices in the meat will keep it from sticking.).

I cook it for about 5-6 hours on low heat (roaster set at 200deg.) When it is ready to come out it will be almost swimming in juices. I use tongs to get the meat and place it in a baking dish. Make sure it is all in one layer in the dish and pour lots of BBQ sauce over it.
Stick it in the oven under the broiler for a few minuets until the sauce bubbles and starts to get thick.
Serve it hot out of the oven with tater-tots or waffle fries.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Ok this is MY personal opinion. !

I just assume not use liquid smoke. Its nasty. I had a bottle, used it once, it sat on the fridge door for 3-4 years after that first use. Midnights right, a little goes a long way. If you must, just a drip/drop or 2 in a sauce/mop is all thats needed. That may have been what turned me off, way to smokey and artifical tasting for my taste. We all know what the real thing tates like, and to me liquid smoke just didnt cut it.

There are stove top smokers. these are pans that seal shut and have spots for small amounts of wood chips. I have used those and they give good results. (I know, too late).

Your gonna be just roasting. Prepare it the way you normally would but it I would not put the liquid smoke in the water. I would use very small amounts and add it towards the end. Maybe Im just paranoid but when I used it, just a tablespoon brushed on a bird was way to powerful. Since ya cant BBQ the real way, why try to fake it? Make the wings buffalo style. Use some alternatives on the ribs.. with some Q sauce at the end..

Maybe Im just keeping the our sweet blue sacred...

Isn't t there a commandment that say
"thou shall not worship false smoke"?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
rusold
On the road to being a farker

My suggestion would be to rub the ribs with your favorite rub- wrap in foil (try to make nearly airtight) cook for at least 6 hours at near 212. You won't get a smoke taste but you will get Q. Just serve with dipping sauce or do the caramelize broiler routine. You could experiment with the smoke in a sauce but I think taste like some weird chemical rather than smoke.

R
rusold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
fivelombardis
is one Smokin' Farker

liquid smoke makes me sick to my stomach.
Lone Star Grillz 36" Fire Pit
Pit Boss PBV6 PSE at our second home
36" Blackstone Griddle
fivelombardis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
Solidkick

I got what I asked for. The liquid smoke is out. Thanks for the opinions!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!

Old 01-31-2004, 05:30 PM   #7
nthole
Babbling Farker

Too cold to Q for the superbowl?!?! It's supposed to be almost 30F tomorrow!

Screw this too colt crap. I'm wheeling the pit out into the snow tomorrow morning. 1 Butt, 3 racks of BBs and a box of turds.

Ovens are for quiters, just like AA meetings...
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2004, 06:46 PM   #8
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Naw, Bars a just better for Supper Bowls, More fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole

Screw this too colt crap. I'm wheeling the pit out into the snow tomorrow morning. 1 Butt, 3 racks of BBs and a box of turds.

Cold is just an excuse to get to the favorite Bar and have a great time, no fun to watch the game at home with the Kitchenbitchamatic that hates football. :D

Just enjoy what ever we all do Sunday. Life is short!

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2004, 06:47 PM   #9
ckkphoto

Okay, I hope I don't get flamed for this (I can take it). But Pappy Pinell's is a brand of spice in Texas (no leads). On of their products is mesquite dust. I think it is literally mesquite sawdust with fine salt added. Sprinkeled on top of a roast while cooking, it is the next best thing to real smoke. I used mine up and haven't seen another bottle of it since.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole

I don't think I said it was too cold, I think I said the weather was going to be bad. I have to work until 5 PM, and it would be too much to ask the wife or 15 yr old to try and man the 'dera just so I got Q for the Super Bowl. I was just looking for a convenient way out for them. Hell if I was off, more than likely I'd be out there in it. :)

Old 02-01-2004, 09:10 AM   #11
parrothead

I use it for 1 thing. And I won't say what. Otherwise, it does not take the place of real smoke..

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #12
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Good for making Beef Jerky....that's about it for me.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #13
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelombardis
liquid smoke makes me sick to my stomach.
I like it with my rice.
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2004, 09:00 PM   #14
shock
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
I use it for 1 thing. And I won't say what. Otherwise, it does not take the place of real smoke..
Whadda mean "won't say what" ?! C'mon tell us...

Deja Brew - We have all been Beer before...
shock is offline   Reply With Quote