Buying Some Rub .. need a little advice

Don't forget Brother Larry Wolf. He has a good following with his seasonings as well.

Spice

Gotta pimp the Pit Pimp who posted above me. Spicewine got some good rubs.

I have been tweaking my own rubs for some time now will continue to do so until I reach nirvana. However I do buy commercial rubs to make my life easier and to support my fellow brethern. I feel the best way is to keep buying different ones in small bottles to experiment with and if you dont like one just toss it in the back of your cabinet. That is where most of them wind up in my house, really chaps the wife but I tell her it is all in research for the ultimate Q. She just rolls her eyes now when the UPS driver shows up with more bbq related items :mrgreen:

Simply Marvelous - Sweet & Spicy
Spicewine - Heffer Dust
Plowboys - Yardbird
D-Dogs - Apple, Maple
John Henry's - Pecan, Apple

I have been tweaking my own rubs for some time now will continue to do so until I reach nirvana. However I do buy commercial rubs to make my life easier and to support my fellow brethern. I feel the best way is to keep buying different ones in small bottles to experiment with and if you dont like one just toss it in the back of your cabinet. That is where most of them wind up in my house, really chaps the wife but I tell her it is all in research for the ultimate Q. She just rolls her eyes now when the UPS driver shows up with more bbq related items :mrgreen:

Simply Marvelous - Sweet & Spicy
Spicewine - Heffer Dust
Plowboys - Yardbird
D-Dogs - Apple, Maple
John Henry's - Pecan, Apple

Man, can I relate to that! Esp. since my wife is a.....vegetarian.:icon_shock1: "My gosh! How much more of that do you need???? Isn't it just about all the same stuff??"

I pity her, really. Imagine, going through life, having no appreciation of the pleasure one gets from pulling off a near perfectly seasoned rack of ribs.....taking that first bite....it's a damn cryin' shame.

I just ordered another 5# batch of Yardbird rub from Hawgeyes, but I use a lot of Spicewines Heffer dust, Gordon's grub rub and Head Country too. It's good to not get stuck in the same old taste pattern I think. If you haven't tried it already, Google up Chris Lilly's 6 time world championship pork rub recipe and try it too.

^^ I just saved that recipe and I will try it soon.

Thanks for all recommendations. I have picked up a few things silently last night and tonight.

yardbird, blues hog, and simply marvelous are on order and preorder..

Are those of us who make and use our own rubs a dying breed?

There's something about relying on other people and/or companies for rubs and sauces that just makes me nervous. I agree wholeheartedly that knowing what is out there is very important but its pretty damn rewarding to win with your own stuff.

Some of the national brands are pretty good (McCormick, Emeril, Wolfgang Puck, Bobby Flay, Stubbs, Weber, Durkee, Lawry's, etc.).

There's something about relying on other people and/or companies for rubs and sauces that just makes me nervous. I agree wholeheartedly that knowing what is out there is very important but its pretty damn rewarding to win with your own stuff.

If I could make a better sauce than Blues Hog... I would. Until then, I'm ridin' the Hog!

I agree with you Vince, if the company goes out I have to go back to the drawing board. But, if I don't support them what next???

Like you, I have and do make my own rubs and sauces. However I found a couple that I like a lot and it is just one less thing I have to worry about.

I know you have been kicking butt with your rubs and sauce, maybe I need a sample and I can help support you too :-D

Good luck at the Jack and I will see you at Buckeye.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I understand that sometimes the easiest path is to not reinvent the wheel, especially if you can get your hands on some pretty good wheels. I also know that putting good rubs and sauces up for sale is a great way for teams to help pay the expenses associated with competing and I admire those who have decided to put their proven products on the market.

The down side is that there are many products out there that have no proven track record of success but are heavily marketed to the barbeque community. Sure, every target market is going to have it's share of companies that are only trying to make a buck with little or no real working knowledge of that market and it is that type of business that I have no respect for.

Personally, I would never by a rub or a sauce from any source that wasn't actively cooking with their own product.

I like Slabs, Texas BBQ Rub, and Head Country alot. I would like to try Plowboys stuff with all the postive reviews, just have to use up the stuff I have now to justify the purchase with the Bosslady :lol:

Don't get me wrong, guys. I understand that sometimes the easiest path is to not reinvent the wheel, especially if you can get your hands on some pretty good wheels. I also know that putting good rubs and sauces up for sale is a great way for teams to help pay the expenses associated with competing and I admire those who have decided to put their proven products on the market.

The down side is that there are many products out there that have no proven track record of success but are heavily marketed to the barbeque community. Sure, every target market is going to have it's share of companies that are only trying to make a buck with little or no real working knowledge of that market and it is that type of business that I have no respect for.

Personally, I would never by a rub or a sauce from any source that wasn't actively cooking with their own product.

You make a very good point about market saturation. About 10-15 years ago I was reading a marketing book that talked about competition focus. It went on to say that there may be many people out there in your market competing for the same dollar. Don't be overwhelmed by all of the competition. Instead, focus on what the top 10% are doing.

I was just in the KC BBQ Store. They have a literal wall of sauces and rubs that still only represents a fraction of what is out there. It can be overwhelming for both a customer and a manufacturer. However, I've tried about all of them one way or another. Some are great and some are just plain aweful. Sometimes the ones that sell are actually pretty aweful, but they have a name, I guess. Others are great and are unknown because of the "noise" from so many products out there. A great product needs some great marketing to overcome the "noise".

There are some really, really great products out there, and it is those truly great ones that I focus on. It is just like competition BBQ. I watch what the top teams are doing and not doing... if I want to be more like them.

I openly promote my "competitors" products. I've done so here and other places online and off. My feeling is that there is enough room for all of us, and that is just how I roll. You'll never see me dis another product, unless I really think it is crap. If you have a good product, I'm going to give you respect for that. Heck, I've helped other people get their products into retailers that I'm already on the shelf at. Life is too short to be so selfish.

I also respect folks that want to do their own thing. I've never been that kind of purist, but that's okay. I've made a lot of sauce, but still buy what I use. Haven't been able to top what I like already out there.

To each... their own way. Peace out!!! :cool:

Todd, you're points are very well made and I totally agree that there is a lot of "noise" out there which sometimes makes it hard to find the genuinely good stuff. You have to learn to separate the "real deal" products from those that are primarily "noisemakers". I think developing this skill is part of becoming a good barbeque cook. You simply learn to taste the things that work. It's clear to me that you and I are on the same page on this subject.

At the end of the day, the cream will rise to the top and each will be judged on their own results and merits. I too promote my direct competitors products, not because we are friends, but because they are good product. As for us manufacturers, I can tell you that alot of rub and sauce has hit the trash before a keeper was found. I respect the time and effort that is put into developing a product that may in some cases take years to develope and even more years to promote.

Spice

Its great to this kind of attitude amoung the producers of products I like.
It amazes me how some people think the free market is a zero sum game - "If you make a sale thats one I can't make". Thats just not the way the market works. Sometimes multiple successes just expand the market, or even create new markets.

Back