MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #16
ClaytonSmoke
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Steve

We are upgrading to a sprinter van and J5 from a truck and a utility trailer with a backyard pit. I see a lot more porch trailers, but the sprinter van works for my mountain biking hobby. Wish we had enough property for both. Either way, life will be much easier next season.
ClaytonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #17
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodempole View Post
Anyone use either a RV or a porch trailer? I've been thinking of heading in this direction with competitions. Pros and cons of each?
I've got a 40' 5th wheel with a porch that we use, I can pull in to a contest and be ready to start cooking in 10-15 minutes. Clean up takes about 20-25 minutes.

It's actually for sale. Follow this link for all the details https://www.facebook.com/pg/Smokin-H...57760239833747

Old 10-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #18
Chodempole
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's a good secondary question to my original... Who here competed without a trailer at first? How much better is it having one vs. not?
Chodempole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #19
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Here's a good secondary question to my original... Who here competed without a trailer at first? How much better is it having one vs. not?
It's very much more gooder to have a trailer .

If you only did it a few times a year pop ups can work, but being able to get out of the elements with a place to sleep, ac, bathroom etc is night and day.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #20
nachos4life
Take a breath!

Quote:
Before our trailer, we used 2 canopies, and a bunch of coolers, etc. Slept in chairs or the bed of a truck (still do that except one person sleeps on trailer floor). Transported everything in the bed of a pickup truck. That's all fine and good and we may actually do it that way again sometime; however, the space to work inside the trailer, the fridge, the water, and dry storage space is quite convenient compared to dealing with tents and sideways rain and loading tons of stuff in and out of our truck. Personally I think "roughing" it is pretty fun at contests but having a trailer is easier.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #21
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

we competed for a few years in pop up tents. Carried everything in the bed of my truck and my dad's SUV, carried drums on lugage racks. Upgraded to a very simple, low budget, porch trailer with electric, and AC. We've built it out from there. Still don't have water, but it's nice to have cabinets. How much easier is it? There is no way in Hell i'd go back to cooking under a tent unless it was some kind of special event.
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #22
pharp
Banned

I started out using a canopy. It worked fine but it was a lot of work. I was usually by myself and I got home feeling like a truck had hit me. I don't mind working hard but when I was burning all of my vacation days to do comps I wanted to at least relax a little bit :)!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #23
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad
Default RV or Porch Trailer?

Quote:
This seems like the ideal situation. Best of both worlds. Saw some pics of the trailer on your facebook. Would you mind posting a pic or 2 of the bathroom area? Also, who built your trailer?

Sure thing. Here you go. Hard to get the whole thing in there, but it’s the width of the trailer and 32” deep, with a shelf in the nose.

We got the trailer through southern q trailers but it’s a Freedom brand trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #24
Chodempole
Knows what a fatty is.

That looks like more than enough space. I’ve talked to Scott, definitely where I’d go to get one built. Thanks for the pics!
Chodempole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #25
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

Why not do both? Get an RV and pull a small porch trailer behind it. Best of all worlds.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #26
morgan-que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Morgan
Default rv toy hauler

This is one my lottery dream buys.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outlaw-class-a/

Old 10-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #27
localyocal
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

I've got a porch trsiler being built by Red Fern Dynsmics. Going to have full size bunk beds in the front with TV for sleeping and the kids, full bathroom with shower and on demand hot water and then a kitchen prep area with an 8 ft enclosed porch. We are going from a toyhauler, which was great as well just a little longer to pack up and load and unload the Deep South.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #28
BigBlackSmoker
Got rid of the matchlight.

Very nice trailer. Do you know the weight with it loaded for a competition? Thanks.
BigBlackSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #29
Mac Attack BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I cook out of a 30' toy hauler RV. Smoker is mounted inside. I pull in, unhook, level and I'm ready to roll. Tear down is lightning fast. It takes me the longest to clean up my mess after turn-in's. I'm usually hooked up (if possible), showered, and ready for awards between 2:30-3pm.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #30
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

RV, toy hauler, dedicated trailer can make all the difference in the world. Set up and tear down are so much easier. With a trailer or RV everything can stay packed, weather permitting.

One slight negative, can be the steps to get in and out...as you age;) Turning 53 last week, in the cool, damp, weather my knees had about all they wanted of climbing in and out of the RV on Saturday.

That was offset by being packed up, having the slides pulled in, and ready to hook the pit up in less than 45 minutes, and not having to walking through the rain to find a functioning toilet/porta-pot.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote