MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #16
bschoen
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

"Spent all my money on booze, boats and bimbos. The rest of it I wasted."

Some smart guy some where said that.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #17
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty your level of BBQ expertise and experience put you in the fun game, hobby class of cook. At this point you should only be spending money you could just as easy pitch in the wind and not cry over it.
Your familys financial future is your most important job, #1!!!

Rollover your 401K, add the $2000 to this years 401K limit. New job, put in as much as the company will match and then add more each year until you max it out.
Don't be the guy that is reaching retirement age and does not have the pot to pi** in.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #18
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

The 1800 lb weight limit is going to crimp what you can do..

THe trailer and smoker will eat up a bunch of that.. Check your trailer weight.

Furthermore. there is a lot of wind load on a cargo trailer..
Deep South GC 28
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain
SCA Certified Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

I got a 6 x 10 open ALUMINUM trailer.. It allowed me to get the weight and not have to loadand unload the cooker.. Cooked on the trailer.. No shelter just some more convenience..
Deep South GC 28
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain
SCA Certified Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #20
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

You have kids, correct?

I suggest you use that $500 to start a 529 college savings plan then. Here's a great resource for that. http://www.collegesavings.org/
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #21
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Could always set it aside for a future upgrade. A $500 "upgrade" won't get you far to achieve what you're really after. But if you can set that aside and save another $200/mo. you could buy yourself a decent, used enclosed trailer next year. I paid $3000 for my plain-jane 7x14 tandem axle and I've been adding to it over the last couple years. Working out of an enclosed trailer vs. tents changes the game in terms of your level of comfort and ease of packing. Of course you'll need a vehicle that can pull it...

Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #22
Robert
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Rusty, Rusty, Rusty your level of BBQ expertise and experience put you in the fun game, hobby class of cook. At this point you should only be spending money you could just as easy pitch in the wind and not cry over it.
Your familys financial future is your most important job, #1!!!

Rollover your 401K, add the $2000 to this years 401K limit. New job, put in as much as the company will match and then add more each year until you max it out.
Don't be the guy that is reaching retirement age and does not have the pot to pi** in.
Ed
This right here^^^^^. Out of all the advice you have been given, this advice from Ed is what you should really take to heart. I understand the allure of reaching for the brass ring. But, the price to ride the merry-go-round keeps getting higher and higher.

So, here is my advice. You want to participate in this sport? Fine. Get a second job or figure out another way to make this hobby pay for itself. Save that money you are about to receive for your family. Quit bargaining with yourself and settling for something less. In reality, you are just wasting your money trying to get closer to what is your ideal but falling way short in each attempt. Remember that trailer you bought from Harbor Freight? Those 14.5" WSM's? Have a true heart to heart with your wife and write down some life goals. Listen to your wife. This hobby ought to be way down the list. Sometimes the answer is not what you want. But, you have to face the brutal facts.

Cliff notes for Rusty:
Save the money.
Quit settling for less.
Get a second job/make hobby pay for itself.
Write down life goals.
Stick to the plan.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Rusty,
There is some really good and logical advice in the posts above that would be the wise thing to do......however, almost everyone who ever achieved success at anything, took risks that sometimes failed but ultimately led to their success. There is no gain without pain. So, you and only you can decide what is best for you and those you are responsible for. Good luck in achieving whatever goals you are shooting for.
Pappy Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #24
masque13
Full Fledged Farker

Rusty.....like what Pappy has said above, do what you want to do, it's your money and life.

Remember man, for disciplined people, the smart and always the best choice is to save what money you can when you can for all kinds of reasons....whether it's for house emergency, college funds, future retirements etc. There is never ever gonna be a real honest to God legitimate reason to spend that money on a black hole hobby like BBQ instead of putting it into an IRA or a college fund or saving for when your HVAC goes out.

Some lyrics to one of my favorite songs says "seems like everything I do will make me sick or poor or fat" and those are wise words. everytime I buy more rubs, or a new smoker or trailer or whatever, it could have been saved and would have probably been better for me financially to do that instead.

everytime I buy a new guitar or a new pistol I should have saved my money instead......but then again, I also want to enjoy my life.

my dad gave me some great advice when I was younger. he said "son, dont live above your means, but also dont let the best years of your life pass you by thinking that you are saving and waiting for some big Utopia that is going to come when you are older. Here I sit with enough money to be comfortable and do most anything reasonable I would like to do, but I no longer care about doing those things.....so do those things while you are young enough to enjoy them while you can. that's one of the reasons why you work and make a living."

I really took those words to heart. I'm 47 and I am trying to live my life in a way that is not reckless, but is also full of enjoyment and adventure, within reason. Sometimes money is tighter and I dont get to do everything I want. But then sometimes, I have enough extra that I allow myself to engage in these crazy hobbies instead of stashing it back for an eventual retirement etc.

and let's remember, $2000 is not money to sneeze at it, but it's also not the kind of money that is gonna really impact your future whether you blow it or save it. But I dont know the shape of your finances and only you can know whether you can "afford" to blow that money or pay the penalties for getting to it etc. that's up to you.

Lastly, another great line from a song is "I never saw a U-Haul being pulled by a hearse"....in other words, you can't take it with you when you die, so live while you can, but be fair and reasonable with your family.

that's my 2 cents.
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #25
shares
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah go get a sweet Klose, or Gator Pit, etc. Enjoy it now and sell it if you ever need to - they hold their value.

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #26
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

here is a reality that most people dont know.

the Joneses, who you are trying to keep up with , are BROKE.

they may look like they have money, because they drive a fancy car, or live in a fancy house, or have a $10k cooker,
but the truth of the matter is they are paycheck to paycheck and financed to the hilt.

the truly rich live like they are poor.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #27
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

My name is Thomas Winslow. I am 30 years old, a father of two, a husband, head cook for Rusty Kettle Barbecue and a dreamer. I know who I am and I know what is best for my family.

My goal is to inspire my kids to go against the grain and be dreamers as well. Some day we will be the best barbecue team in the country. It may take years of hard work but we will get there. I may fail to reach that goal but I would rather be a spectacular failure who dared to dream then someone who just accepted being mediocre.

*mic drop*
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #28
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
My name is Thomas Winslow. I am 30 years old, a father of two, a husband, head cook for Rusty Kettle Barbecue and a dreamer. I know who I am and I know what is best for my family.

My goal is to inspire my kids to go against the grain and be dreamers as well. Some day we will be the best barbecue team in the country. It may take years of hard work but we will get there. I may fail to reach that goal but I would rather be a spectacular failure who dared to dream then someone who just accepted being mediocre.

*mic drop*
the second best barbecue team last year cooked on a uds. two more points and they would have been first place.

so you dont have to buy a new cooker to be the best bbq team. you already have a uds. use what you have. or dont.

mic drop

Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #29
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
the second best barbecue team last year cooked on a uds. two more points and they would have been first place.

so you dont have to buy a new cooker to be the best bbq team. you already have a uds. use what you have. or dont.

mic drop
Actually love the uds. Not looking at smoker upgrades. I have a drum and a sumo. Very fond of my uds she is named Bertha. Very fond of the sumo. My uds got a 170 in chicken a few weeks ago. 12th out of 60 in chicken. Still got work to do.
I was more looking at trailers or possibly a good knife set. Something to make loading easier. Maybe a class to up my game more. Maybe just cooking more comps and upping the number I compete in.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #30
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post

mic drop
to be clear that wasnot directed at you. If it came across that way apologies. It was directed at folks acting like i dont take care of my family. Not you.