smoking with corn cobs

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I think i've heard of people using corn cobs to smoke with. Anyone done it?

I'm processing 300-400 ears of corn in one-two weeks (they are in the garden, just waiting on them to be ready). I'll be creaming at least half of that so I'll have a couple hundred corn cobs. Should I save them to smoke with? if so, what do I need to do with em? I'm assuming you let them lay out and dry????

then do you just add a couple to your coal basket (i use a UDS) when smoking?

thanks

My dad used to save and sell the corn cobs from the farm, but quit doing so a few years ago. A little before I got into smoking . . .

I think it'd be worth trying. I can't imagine it'd add a whole lot of flavor, but it would be fun :p

When I used to goose hunt on the Eastern Shore on Maryland, the local market used to sell corncob smoked bacon. It was good. I've thought about using them a few times. Maybe this is the year.

I use them a lot for smoking poultry lightly. I really like the way they reinforce the taste of the bird without overpowering. Cob smoked ham, bacon and turkey are very popular in Vermont largely due to the great tasting products sold by Harrington's here.

I typically disperse them throughout the lump.

CornCobbsandROLump.jpg

CObSmokedDone_0748.jpg

Never tried them in a smoker, but I remember my grandpa using a mixture of hickory and corncobs in the smokehouse for cold smoking/curing hams and bacon.

I use them with apple or hickory when smoking hams and bacon. The cobs must be thoroughly dry. I use cobs from dried feed corn. The farmer uses a hand crank machine to shell the corn for his chickens, and he saves me the cobs.

Back