Vending Minimum

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
If you were going to vend at an amphitheater show from say 5pm to 9pm on some Sunday nights and a few Friday nights, and you were going to be the only food vendor there and would also be selling all drinks with the exception of alcoholic drinks sold by the venue and the venue were to take a minimum of 10% of your take, 20% if it were very good. What would be the minimum number in attendance you would want to see?

I ask because I have a venue that I will be doing 4 to 8 events for that will have 300 to 600 people at, but they also will have about 10 dates that will only have 150 to 200 in attendance. All of these figures are based of previous years to those shows. They are mostly live bands with a few performing art shows. Most shows will have an intermission half way through the show. The venue will only be selling beer and wine and I will be the only food there.

My thoughts are I don't see how it would be worth my time for the smaller events, plus if I don't do a good portion of the smaller ones maybe I would loose the larger ones also if they get someone to do the small ones and then give them the large ones. On a plus, they are mostly on Friday Nights and Sundays so it would not interrupt my catering. But then I am not sure if the ones with 400 there will even be profitable. I have a commitment to two events and the rest are based on if profitable or not but I do know they are going to look for a vendor to do any dates I turn down.

Your thoughts?

If you go with the 10% rule you can expect to feed 40 meals on a good night.
Hardly worth setting up I would think.

Do not be afraid to turn work down.

We have done a few events sort of like yours BUT we were paid up front to cook an amount of food then it was up to the organizer to stand someone next to our site and take cash sales.

We find that most people eat at home or make an evening of events like yours be it eating before or after to make it a complete night out. I don't see it being worth your time unless you are doing a hot dog cart sort of thing where your time and overheads are far less respectively.

If you can break "over" even, I would do it, it's then about exposure and a good chance of getting new business.

If you can break "over" even, I would do it, it's then about exposure and a good chance of getting new business.

I agree. You don't want to lose money, nobody does. Breaking even not so much, making some money would be nice. The exposure is there.

If a venue has consistent numbers, they will expect their take to be consistent. If I have a venue offer, and they tell me that they want 18%, it's usually a good indicator to me that there is some money to be made. If they throw out a lowball number, they aren't even sure of their gate turnout.

If you really want to do the event, I would tell them you need to be at 135% of expenses before you share money.

Back