• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Wow I can't believe I FINALLY got the Kingsford UDS together! 99% of the donor grill was used in this experiment including the bottom of the kettle. She's gonna be a pain to clean the ashes out but it will work for now till I get a different charcoal basket done. The only thing left is to come up with a gasket for the lid since I couldn't get a very tight seal. Hopefully with any luck I'll get a fire in it in the next day or so and see what she does.

uds10.jpg

uds11.jpg

uds12.jpg

uds8.jpg

UDS Thread

Wow, finally finished reading this thread 242 pages in 3 weeks! You guys are truly amazing. There is a wealth of info here and some great mods. Not sure when I will build my own UDS but I know where to go for the answers!

Thanks everyone for the countless hours of great informative reading. I will be lurking in the dark reading this forum.

--SunRA--

Wow I can't believe I FINALLY got the Kingsford UDS together! 99% of the donor grill was used in this experiment including the bottom of the kettle. She's gonna be a pain to clean the ashes out but it will work for now till I get a different charcoal basket done. The only thing left is to come up with a gasket for the lid since I couldn't get a very tight seal. Hopefully with any luck I'll get a fire in it in the next day or so and see what she does.

uds10.jpg

uds11.jpg

uds12.jpg

uds8.jpg

If you take the lid and flatten the edge, lip out then put it onto of your UDS and hit it with a rubber hammer it will form better. I put the thing that holds the originial lid on the barrel when you get it one with the dome lid on the barrel. Get it as tight as you can. The only reason I did this is to make sure to try and get out any little bumps. It seemed it work. The only part that sucks is when your bending the lip out on the dome lid the porcelain cracks and goes flying everywhere. I did this with a weber lid this past weekend and it works out perfect. I was very surprised how easy it was.

Had someone on another forum post this link, read most of it and will be building mine soon. Awesome!

Spaz- I did flatten the lid but did not take a rubber hammer to it, didn't think of that but used a block of wood and a hammer. I'll try the rubber hammer maybe it will help. Its not terrible but I would like better. And your right the porcelain flies everywhere.

Bragging rights is a big part of the UDS experience. I like watching hoity toity people turn their nose up when they see a "Trash Can" smoking and then watch them gorge themselves on the food and hover to see if there is any left to take home.

I found the Brethren just a short time ago following a thread on building a UDS. I have only gotten to page 24 so far but the info is very helpful. I have already found a drum on kriegs list, drilled four air holes in the bottom with a step drill bit, and spent this evening burning it out. So far so good.

I found the Brethren just a short time ago following a thread on building a UDS. I have only gotten to page 24 so far but the info is very helpful. I have already found a drum on kriegs list, drilled four air holes in the bottom with a step drill bit, and spent this evening burning it out. So far so good.
Grocery store ads come out tomorrow. Start planning your cook.

Bragging rights is a big part of the UDS experience. I like watching hoity toity people turn their nose up when they see a "Trash Can" smoking and then watch them gorge themselves on the food and hover to see if there is any left to take home.

I bring in a lot of leftovers to work on Monday's including several racks of ribs, pounds of pulled pork, and most recently MOINK Balls and it is always gone before I go home. I showed one of them a picture of my new UDS, and they kind of turned up their nose...:eek:

I told them that is ok they don't have to eat any Q next time I bring it in - Farker!

I bring in a lot of leftovers to work on Monday's including several racks of ribs, pounds of pulled pork, and most recently MOINK Balls and it is always gone before I go home. I showed one of them a picture of my new UDS, and they kind of turned up their nose...:eek:

I told them that is ok they don't have to eat any Q next time I bring it in - Farker!

Phark 'em!!!
They don't know that it is a sheep in wolfs clothing!:-D

Hey everyone! My barrel is burned and now I need to take a wheel wire to it inside and out.

Does anyone know where I can find a knotted wheel wire for a decent price? They want $18 for a Milwaukee 4” knotted wheel wire at HD.
They have a Blacken Decker non-knotted coarse wheel wire for $5 but I am not sure how efficient that one is?

Any advise on how to get the rest of the charred paint and liner out without spending too much money?

Any advise on how to get the rest of the charred paint and liner out without spending too much money?

I am also at that point with my barrel. I burned it out well and have hit the obvious couple of paint spots that the burn missed, but how can you tell all of the liner is out?

Thanks,

John

I am also at that point with my barrel. I burned it out well and have hit the obvious couple of paint spots that the burn missed, but how can you tell all of the liner is out?

Thanks,

John

I remember reading someone mentioned before if its form a nice even brown layer of light rust after you power wash it you are going to go otherwise keep grinding / sanding.

I remember reading someone mentioned before if its form a nice even brown layer of light rust after you power wash it you are going to go otherwise keep grinding / sanding.

Well, that's where I am at. The inside is a powdered rust. There are black spots but after the burn I took a wire brush to it, it turned a rusty color (Upper Left). In this pic you can where the barrel turned black (Upper Right):

InsideBurntBarrel.jpg

So, will a non-knotted wheel wire work or should I buy a knotted one?

Well, that's where I am at. The inside is a powdered rust. There are black spots but after the burn I took a wire brush to it, it turned a rusty color (Upper Left). In this pic you can where the barrel turned black (Upper Right):

InsideBurntBarrel.jpg

So, will a non-knotted wheel wire work or should I buy a knotted one?

I tried the non-knotted one but it didn't work that well and went to my friend's shop using one of these and works like wonder,that is a package of 20 so they are not expensive but not sure where you can buy them though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-3...Z280326047235QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

55 Galloon UN rated steel Drun in Georgia

Hello all,

If you live int the Metro Atlanta are I found a couple of places where you can get some very nice UN rated 55 gallon drums:

Mconnell DDrum service
5880 New Peachtree Rd
Atlanta, GA 30340
(770) 451-1100
UN rated Refurbished Open Top, lined $34

Chambers Drum Company
71 Roberts St
Fairburn, GA 30213
(770) 964-7467
UN rated Refurbished Open Top, lined $32

They both carry unlined drums, but these will have to be purchased brand new for around $51 to $68 each

Have fun!

Hey everyone! My barrel is burned and now I need to take a wheel wire to it inside and out.

Does anyone know where I can find a knotted wheel wire for a decent price? They want $18 for a Milwaukee 4” knotted wheel wire at HD.
They have a Blacken Decker non-knotted coarse wheel wire for $5 but I am not sure how efficient that one is?

Try here. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf I use a wire wheel cup that I put on my grinder. Note: get ear plugs or muffs, it gets loud in there.

Here it is, I think. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7388

Back