Quick Brisket Question

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I went to the local Sams club and was going to buy a brisket "want to make some brisket Chili this weekend" and the biggest one I found was about 8 pounds. It was the flat. They did not sell the whole brisket. Even at 8 pounds it seemed like it was so thin maybe an inch to inch and a half thick thru a majority of it I was worried it would dry out to quickly. Is this normal or should I look for a whole brisket and not just the flat?

Thanks
David Hickey

That sounds like a normal trimmed flat.

Did you ask the butcher at Sam's for a whole packer? I buy them all the time from Sams. I like to have some point and flat in my brisket chili.

Ask for the whole packer. It's rare to find a thick flat these days.

If your gonna do chili anyway...pull it a little early....maybe at 170-175....should get all the smoke flavor by them....cut up and finish cooking in the chili...

If your gonna do chili anyway...pull it a little early....maybe at 170-175....should get all the smoke flavor by them....cut up and finish cooking in the chili...

Now that's the ticket!

Can I use Rum and Coke instead of Miller to deglaze? Problem with pulling early and letting it finish in the Chili is I want to eat Brisket Saturday and Chili Sunday. So I'll have to cook it all the way thru for Sat dinner. Thanks for the help. I figured it was probably normal. Guess thats why they call it the flat! And I exagerated a little I meant the meat was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. That did not count the fat cap.

SAM's around here only sells whole packers. Bought an 18 lb'er last month sometime. Never made brisket chili though. For some odd reason I feel I will.

Sometimes my Sam's doesn't have the packers out on display - why???? The last 2 times I've been there I have had to ask the butcher to get me one. And hey presto one show up!

Can I use Rum and Coke instead of Miller to deglaze? Problem with pulling early and letting it finish in the Chili is I want to eat Brisket Saturday and Chili Sunday. So I'll have to cook it all the way thru for Sat dinner. Thanks for the help. I figured it was probably normal. Guess thats why they call it the flat! And I exagerated a little I meant the meat was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. That did not count the fat cap.

Cook two, and pull one early. My work here is done:wink:

Either that or smoke up a nice big chuckie!!! I've got a 17 pounder sitting in the freezer for the next time I get Bubbette going....

Our Sam's sells both packers and flats. The packers are Select grade and the flats are Choice:confused:
Actually, the last time I bought a case of packers they were CAB Prime....

Back