• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Price point for bbq toys

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The Slow 'N Sear thread got me thinking about bbq toys. I can cook anything I want with what I have. Like most of you, I don't NEED anything, but I WANT everything; I just have a price point. For example, I was hot for a Big Joe, but in the end it was above my price point for a ceramic grill. I'm not debating the pros and cons of this stuff, but here are some of my price points.

Slow 'N Sear: $30
Thermapen: $40
Looftlighter: $25
Quality Pellet Smoker: $200
Kamado Joe Big Joe with all the accessories: $1000

Obviously, my price point on these things guarantees that I won't have them. My "I would pay that" index isn't as high as my "got to have that" index, but if my neighbor decides he doesn't want his Yoder YS640 anymore and offers it to me for $400, it's mine.

I wanted a Hunsaker Vortex Basket for my WSM, but $134 was above my price point. When Mark came out with the Vortex Plate for $55, I was all over it. Didn't need it, but I'm glad I bought it. What bbq toys do you have a price point for?

I'm willing to pay for a quality accessory that makes a difference in how I cook. An example would be the Weber rotisserie. It allows you to do something, rotissereing, that cannot be done with the base kettle. The Weber $15.00 coal baskets can do what a SnS does for most cooks, and are more versatile, too. Buy two sets for your $30.00 and that's a whole lot of options for arranging coals. Two SS mini loaf pans from the discount store hold more water, can serve as a charcoal barrier, and stack neatly for storage.
A Looftlighter is a heat gun, which is widely available for around $25.00.
Many of the BBQ accessories remind me of items marketed for women that are just the same, functionally, as the equivalent for men, but at a higher cost. Go into a restaurant supply store and you can find better quality tools for most cooks.

I have no price point. Just most of the time no money. But when i save up enough it's mine. Good quality stuff costs money. Always has always will.
That's sort of my point. If I'm going to use it, and it's easy to store, I buy it. But a lot of the accessories have a narrow use and then you need someplace to keep them.

No price point, i can buy whatever i want. I could splurge on a 25k rig to sell bbq, but just look at all the rigs for sale. You think they selling because they are rich from vending??

Keeping myself from making decisions i'll regret later is even harder.. Although i will admit, a well kept taken care of smoker retains it's value. Especially these new high quality smoker brands.

No price point specifically. I usually research any big purchase and look for the point of diminishing returns in quality vs price and will buy in that range. Now, there is also a "cool" factor that can come into play and cause me to spend a few more bucks. These are "big boy toys" after all and if something makes me smile when I look at it or use it that's worth it to me. 8)

I used to buy bbq stuff just because people here posted how cool it was. I don't need a shirley but dang that thing is beautiful and it draws a crowd... makes the owner feel good. Great buy.

Roti for my Jimmy... nice for a few months. Just sits in the garage now. Kettle pizza thing. Loved it but eats a lot of lump for 1 or 2 pizzas. Just sits in the garage. BS griddle... never liked it from the first use. It must be user error because I'm the only one. Just sits in the garage.

Now I'm really careful. Don't buy a darn thing regardless how cool sako makes it look. :pound: i just ignore his hunsaker cooks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They will last forever. I don't know how thick the Weber baskets are, but I burn up 2 steel charcoal chimneys a year.

The SS baskets are plenty big, and 14 gage

I also have a roti, kettle pizza and blackstone sitting in my shed. The blackstone always goes camping but that is just about the only use it gets. I just don't have room on my deck for it to be setup and way to lazy to drag it out to cook a burger.

I used to buy bbq stuff just because people here posted how cool it was. I don't need a shirley but dang that thing is beautiful and it draws a crowd... makes the owner feel good. Great buy.

Roti for my Jimmy... nice for a few months. Just sits in the garage now. Kettle pizza thing. Loved it but eats a lot of lump for 1 or 2 pizzas. Just sits in the garage. BS griddle... never liked it from the first use. It must be user error because I'm the only one. Just sits in the garage.

Now I'm really careful. Don't buy a darn thing regardless how cool sako makes it look. :pound: i just ignore his hunsaker cooks.

I also have a roti, kettle pizza and blackstone sitting in my shed. The blackstone always goes camping but that is just about the only use it gets. I just don't have room on my deck for it to be setup and way to lazy to drag it out to cook a burger.
So you're my bad influence?

They will last forever. I don't know how thick the Weber baskets are, but I burn up 2 steel charcoal chimneys a year.

What are you doing to the charcoal chimneys that it only last 6 months to a year?

I dont buy stuff for me. I have a $2 price point currently, but when I have money, I never have incentive to buy anything for me. There is always something else we need besides my toys. Occassionally I will get new things on my own...mostly for spe ical days though.

Really depends on the item and if I feel it's worth the cost. For example, I'm looking to step up my cue from a small electric smoker, but right now I only have a gas grill and a Weber kettle. CL seems to have rusted junk or COS, and local retailers have bottom-of-the-barrel picks left. So, I've been looking at trying some new things on the kettle. Naturally, I've looked at the vortex, the SNS, maybe a guru, different ways to cook things on the kettle, etc. I wouldn't mind trying a SNS, but there seems to be some excessive profit margin on that item ($127 - I know the cost of steel is up, but really?). I'll probably give the baskets a try.

Really depends on the item and if I feel it's worth the cost. For example, I'm looking to step up my cue from a small electric smoker, but right now I only have a gas grill and a Weber kettle. CL seems to have rusted junk or COS, and local retailers have bottom-of-the-barrel picks left. So, I've been looking at trying some new things on the kettle. Naturally, I've looked at the vortex, the SNS, maybe a guru, different ways to cook things on the kettle, etc. I wouldn't mind trying a SNS, but there seems to be some excessive profit margin on that item ($127 - I know the cost of steel is up, but really?). I'll probably give the baskets a try.
Bricks are cheap.
picture.php

Here's an older thread that has some ideas.
Weber Kettle, low-n-slow, let's see your setup
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246

Bricks are cheap.
picture.php

Here's an older thread that has some ideas.
Weber Kettle, low-n-slow, let's see your setup
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246

That was interesting! Tried to reply in that thread, but it's too old. I like the bricks. I can see where that would help the side of the meat that's facing the fire.

I may be doing it wrong, but I just put the water in my drip pan.

Back