MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #31
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
Take a look at the new RecTec RT-700 Bull. They just came out with this model this year. Full stainless steel body, no worry about paint burning and peeling, PID controller with 2 meat probes and WiFi and a 6 year warranty on everything. All for $1199, that and all the great reviews, is hard to beat.
You guys are not helping /s.
I thought I narrowed down but now my choice are widen up again.
Actually, this is really appealing. As long as build quality and wifi is up-to-par.
viodea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #32
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
If I was up in the $1750 range I would get a Pitts and Spitts 850

https://pittsandspitts.com/pellet-grills/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1rnqTFJKu4
What make you pick this one over the others?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #33
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea View Post
What make you pick this one over the others?
No personal experience with them but have looked into them a bit since they are made down the road from me.

1) Made in USA

2 Thicker steel body (3/16th body, 1/8th" stainless door), all fully welded body and cart, not bolt together Chinese parts (Rec Tec) or thin riveted sheet metal panels (MAK). Yoder body and door are thinner. 10 gauge body and 12 gauge door I think.

3) PID controller programmed specifically for the pits.

I think they are the best looking too. I'm an offset guy to the bone. But if I was to buy a pellet cooker it would be a Pitts and Spitts. I just prefer quality.

Last edited by Rockinar; 09-19-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 PM   #34
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
No personal experience with them but have looked into them a bit since they are made down the road from me.

1) Made in USA

2 Thicker steel body (3/16th body, 1/8th" stainless door), all fully welded body and cart, not bolt together Chinese parts (Rec Tec) or thin riveted sheet metal panels (MAK). Yoder body and door are thinner. 10 gauge body and 12 gauge door I think.

3) PID controller programmed specifically for the pits.

I think they are the best looking too. I'm an offset guy to the bone. But if I was to buy a pellet cooker it would be a Pitts and Spitts. I just prefer quality.
I don't know anything about them, but they look good. I am curious how they are using heavier metal than Yoder, but it weighs 110lb lighter.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #35
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
I found 2 more smoker that sounded good on paper.
GMG Jim Bowie with Wifi - $999 but on sale for $899 now.
Fast Eddy PG500 - $1795 with free shipping.

GMG is half price of the others and wifi control with food probe. Any idea how durable and stable it is temperature and app wise?
I've owned all 3 models of the GMG and for me, the Jim Bowie the worst cooker of their 3 models. I also own a Mak 1-star. I can tell you that the Mak 1 is superior in every way to the GMG. Of course, the Mak costs a lot more, but you get what you pay for here.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 AM   #36
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I don't know anything about them, but they look good. I am curious how they are using heavier metal than Yoder, but it weighs 110lb lighter.
Stuff I looked at said "made of 7 and 10 gauge carbon steel" for the Pitts and Spitts. Im guessing the body and the endcaps are not the same thickness.

Also the Yoder seems to have more surface area, counterweight, etc..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #37
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
I've owned all 3 models of the GMG and for me, the Jim Bowie the worst cooker of their 3 models. I also own a Mak 1-star. I can tell you that the Mak 1 is superior in every way to the GMG. Of course, the Mak costs a lot more, but you get what you pay for here.

Care to elaborate? What makes Jim Bowie the worst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #38
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Care to elaborate? What makes Jim Bowie the worst?

I had a love/hate relationship with my JB. I loved the looks and capacity and I did make some good food with it. On the hate side, it was an annoying cooker because most cooks involved some level of fighting and fiddling with it to get the food right. Additionally, it's like that friend/relative we all have that has no concept of time and is always late, no matter what.

I found the JB cooked a lot slower than all the other pellet smokers (including Traegers) I've owned. Everything in the JB would take significantly more than every other cooker I've owned. Yes, I always checked the temps independently and what I was dialing in was also what showed on my electronic thermometers, but the JB cooks like a snail on racetrack.

Additionally, the smoke profile on the JB is the lightest of all the GMGs and it's difficult to get any kind of good bark on the food. Mechanically, I never had any issues with and I had it for several years. My personal theory about the issues with the JB is that there is not sufficient air movement in the cooker for good convection.

During the time I had the JB, I got my MAK1 (used) and after the first cook with the MAK, I quickly realized the JB is simply not in the same league as the MAK.

Cooking with the MAK1 is effortless and the food always comes out with great flavor and color. Plus, the food gets done in the expected time window. I've smoked many ribs and briskets in both the JB and MAK and there simply is no comparison in the quality of the food the MAK produces vs. the JB. If you took two identically prepared racks of ribs, using the same pellets, cooked one in the JB and one in the MAK, the one in the MAK would get done with the the expected time window with great color and flavor. The one in the JB, would be much lighter in color with much less flavor. And, most likely, you would be frustrated at how long it took in the JB. With that said, the ribs would still be good in the JB, but not as good as the ones in the MAK.

The MAK will make you look like a star to your family and friends.

Comparing the JB to the Daniel Boone - I haven't had this DB long, but I've used it a few times. While the smoke profile is similar to the JB - light, it cooks on time like it should. I can tell there is much better air circulation in the DB as opposed to the JB.

Comparing the JB to the Davy Crockett - The DC is the most temperamental of the three. It's the smallest and it WILL burn your food if you have the crappy 2-piece drip pan. I think all the new models now come with a solid 1-piece drip pan now, but the models for several years past had the 2-piece drip pan with holes that could be opened (for direct flame grilling) and closed for smoking.

In theory it was a good idea, but the even in "closed" position, the holes allowed excess hot air to come up through the bottom and it would make the bottoms of your food crispy/burned even on low temp cooks. This problem could be alleviated by foiling the drip tray or using making a raised rack on top of a solid metal pan to stop the bottom of the food from getting blasted by hot air. Thankfully, GMG started selling 1-piece solid drip trays (only $10), which now makes the DC a super nice little smoker. Temperatures are now super even and there are no more burned bottoms and crispy edges. I like my DC for small cooks. It produces very good food, but still not as good as my MAK.

GMG does have great customer service. They quickly return every email or will call you right back. The controller on my DC went out after a year. A tech called me and we went through a troubleshooting process over the phone. In the end, he determined the controller was bad and I had a new one in 2 days.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #39
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

RemoGaggi, great info. I appreciate it.
I'll pay a bit more attention regard JB and see if other people have the same issue. I do hope it's a isolated case. If not, it make my decision making a bit easier though :D

Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #40
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
RemoGaggi, great info. I appreciate it.
I'll pay a bit more attention regard JB and see if other people have the same issue. I do hope it's a isolated case. If not, it make my decision making a bit easier though :D
I've read others have had similar issues with the JB on other forums. Just remember, if the JB is the only smoker a person has, they might not know any different. Again, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #41
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

I wonder if there is something to do with the probe location. Maybe the BJ has higher temperature variations between different area. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense.

Did anyone test the temperature next to the meat to see if it matches the controller displayed?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #42
lkissell
On the road to being a farker

I'd like to add another vote for the Rec Tec Bull. I love my Rec Tec (older model), and with the addition of all stainless body, Wi-Fi, and two meat probes it's the best deal out there.

The only criticisms I have read are about their advertising tactics and the appearance of the bull horns. While both may be legitimate concerns, they in no way affect your ability to cook great food. And the criticisms come from people who have never owned a Rec Tec.

If you are looking for a great smoker, LOTS of stainless components, a long warranty, great customer service and WiFi at a reasonable price, Rec Tec is worthy of consideration.

But I do covet a Mak!
Hunsaker Drum
lkissell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #43
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Well, Viodea... have you made a decision yet?!?! Inquiring minds wanna know ;)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #44
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Not firm but I lean toward rec tec rt700.
Mostly positive reviews.
2 food probes.
WiFi. I need some kind of wireless connection. With this, I can free up my smoke thermometer.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 AM   #45
Eujamfh
On the road to being a farker

Being a fan of used to save money...I would say these prices are too high for me.

Assume you have to replace the electronics and mechanicals...quickly equals new price yet you still have used gear.

Made that mistake in a used Egg. By the time I got it up to snuff I was close to new without warranty.

Sometimes it’s better to wait a season and save a bit more to get new.

Good luck in you decision!
Eujamfh is offline   Reply With Quote