What are Weber Fire Starter Cubes?

Rockaway BeachBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just picked up two boxes of weber cubes for starting the chimney in the wind. What the hell are they made of?

brd has found a way to solidify his...Oh, this is Q-talk.

Umm...I don't know. What was the question?

They're wax. little candles to help light your fire.

you can use wick sternos(not the Gel ones) under your chimney. I get the case from costco, you can reuse them, non toxic. i dont know how expensive the webber ones are but the sternos are pretty cheap.

I use the weber cubes. They work great. Light one and the chimney will be going.

They are more than old newspapers, but less hassle since there is no paper ash floating around.

Are they really wax? The ones I had a long time ago were more like a chalky substance.

I use newspaper! In particular the editorials, obituaries, and politics. By the way what do you think about the war in Iraq? Do you think they will ever finish the Saddam Hussein trial. I think he is guilty!

I use newspaper with some vegetable oil on it.

I use a match

Chimney of briquets sitting on top of two broken fatwood sticks and newspaper underneath. And no, I don't let that burning fatwood into my smoke chamber!

I had a old cheap chimney that was a pain to get lite. I use the sterno wick cans. Now I have the Weber chimney and 2-3 sheets of newspaper with some veggie oil does the trick. I can't belive how much better the Weber chimney works. In examining both chimney's I think the fact that the Weber is bigger in diameter and has a wire support instead of the punched sheet makes the difference.
In boyscouts we used to make firestarters with corrugated cardboard dipped in wax, I'll bet those would work good here.

They are made of parafin. I used to use them. I went as far as contacting weber to see if I could buy them direct in bulk. No deal! So I quit using them. Around here they go for $2.50 per box of 24. I used to use them all the time and took them on camping trips. Now I just use my turkey fryer. Works best. two minutes of full blast and it only takes a few more minutes to have ashed-over charcoal.

FartFire.jpg

Many brands out there now--they are all basically wax (paraffin) and sawdust.
I love them :lol:
Last forever in storage--simply don't go bad.
I drop 2 to 4 lit squares in the bottom of the chimney and pour on the coals.
DONE. No mess, no fuss, no "nothing" to worry about. clean up, refill, or pack away for next time.

All the other techniques work fine also. I bet a Brush Burner would get them puppies going in a heartbeat (Tim Taylor MOD) :lol:

Find one you like and use it--not rocket science--just personal preference :lol:

TIM

ON EDIT--SAMI posted one of his classic gross pics while I was writing--that will work also if you are so inclined!

How 'bout this for a fire starter . . . liquid oxygen :mrgreen:

Attachments

• LiqOxgrill.jpg
    LiqOxgrill.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 99
Isn't parafin like candle wax? These things are really soft and milky white. I normally use newspaper, but on a windy day most of it blows away (not very neighbourly).

I light the stuff on top of my grill on the primo, and wanted to be sure nothing nasty is falling in. I know it is non-toxic but I don't want any off flavoring from petro-chemicals. And I am just curious.

Back