Lack of pull-back on ribs?

MushCreek

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I smoked 3 racks of ribs today on the UDS. They're nice looking St Louis cut, and I removed the membrane from the bone side. Put a nice rub on them, and cooked 'em on the UDS for about 5-1/2 hours total at 225 to 250. I did 3 hours, foil for an hour, then open again and glazed some BBQ sauce on them. They were absolutely great, and the meat slid right off the bone, but I didn't get any 'pull-back' that I see in lots of pictures. Obviously, judging from how good they were (sorry, no pron) it doesn't matter, but I was just wondering what causes the pull-back, or lack thereof? Should I discard the ones we didn't eat? (j/k)

Sometimes I get pull back and sometimes not, and all mine taste great.\\

Here are some I did today. As you can see some pulled and some didn't. They all taste good.

DSCF5637.jpg

Mush, at least mine happened, DID YOURS REALLY HAPPEN or are you just sayin?? :biggrin::biggrin:

Cook on.......

Paul B
SS UDS

Honestly, having any more than 1/4" pull-back, and I start to worry that my ribs are gonna be overcooked. When you see those hangin' bones with lots of pull-back, I guarantee those are more likely to be too done (fall off the bone, done).

If you like that, it's cool. But, as long as they taste good and have the texture YOU are looking for, then you are doing everything right.

Honestly, having any more than 1/4" pull-back, and I start to worry that my ribs are gonna be overcooked. When you see those hangin' bones with lots of pull-back, I guarantee those are more likely to be too done (fall off the bone, done).

If you like that, it's cool. But, as long as they taste good and have the texture YOU are looking for, then you are doing everything right.

Yes & no:

*Yes I agree that you don't need pull back to have good ribs.
*No I don't agree that more than 1/4" pullback means overcooked. i have had ribs with 1/2" of more of pull back that were not overcooked.

I believe the amount of pull back has a lot of factors

1. Temperature of meat when they go on cooker
  2. Temperature/Time you cook your ribs. Hot & fast will not pull back as much as low & slow.
  3. Amount of fat in meat.

Sometimes they don't pull back. A combination of looking for pull back and a bend test, or even a toothpick test, will tell you when they are done. Don't go by just pullback alone.

Pull back can mean they were cooked hotter which will cause more shrinkage. You say you cooked them between 225 and 250 I would guess they were cooked closer to 225 most of the cook. Anyway if you pick them up with a set of tongs in the meddle and they bend easily almost in half and crack a little they are usually are done no mater how much bone is showing. Please freeze the ones you did not eat and send them to me for a more in-depth study, no charge for a fledgling Brethern.
Dave

Sometimes I get pull back and sometimes not, and all mine taste great.\\

Here are some I did today. As you can see some pulled and some didn't. They all taste good.

DSCF5637.jpg

Mush, at least mine happened, DID YOURS REALLY HAPPEN or are you just sayin?? :biggrin::biggrin:

Cook on.......

Paul B
SS UDS

Yep, Nice looking ribs happening there. I agree with your pull back statement, some do and some don't, don't know why nor much care as long as the TASTE good.

Does it have anything to do with the ribs being enhanced? I know when we use Tyson brand I don't tend to get much pullback but they taste good and I think Tyson's are enhanced with a brine.

Back