I've already been told to say "They're great."

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Oh please pray for me this upcoming Saturday. We've been invited over to my wife's uncle's house to celebrate Mother's Day weekend for my wife's grandmother.

Quick background. My wife's uncle is the one that laughs at the thought of "smoking" ribs or pork butt on a smoker for hours. He has told me each time he gets a chance that "I can do it in quicker time in the oven or crockpot, not spend all day and it tastes just as good or better."

Well low and behold this weekend he's conveniently doing ribs. He does his in the oven wrapped in foil then throws them on a gasser grill for the last ten minutes and baptizes them in sauce. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what's going to happen. While eveybody is eating he will (in a loud voice) single me out and ask "How do they taste? They're just as good as yours aren't they? And I don't have to sit there and spend all day doing it." Because that's how this jackazz is. Yet my wife has already instructed me to simply bite the bullet and tell him they are great and not to say anything and if he's asks if they are as good as mine just tell him yes and move on. I don't know if I can do this. :doh: I really don't. I understand not starting an argument or an awkward moment over something as silly as ribs but I hate to give this guy ANY satisfaction. Oh Brethren please pray for me this week. :sick:

Sounds like people know how this guy rolls. I'd bite my tongue and say "yeah they're great. In fact, they're so good why not enter them in a local comp"...

I'm sure he will learn just how good they really are.......

Sounds like people know how this guy rolls. I'd bite my tongue and say "yeah they're great. In fact, they're so good why not enter them in a local comp"...

I'm sure he will learn just how good they really are.......

Hahahahahahaha Totally do this!!! That ought take him down a peg when he gets last place against a bunch of smoking BBQers. hahaha you got to do it!!!

If he asks if they are as good as your ribs just answer "almost!"

I've gotta agree with BamaBuzzard. I don't think I could do it either. I'm not generally a confrontational person, but I'm not going to lie to people about stuff like this either.

I also agree that you should get him to enter them in a comp though.

Tough situation for sure. You might remind him that McDonald's carries a rib sandwich too - no reason to waste all that time by using an oven...

do a few 12 oz curls before he brings them out and when he asks you if they are as good as yours just say "not bad" with a smile

Bamabuzzard - good luck, it's not going to be easy.... but, when she's not happy, nobody's happy. Your call.

RMR

Maybe you should ask him for the website where thousands of people gather to proclaim dominance of that cooking method (I would doubt there is one). The other would be to say something to effect of it tastes just like I can get at (insert chain).

We all have people we know that just don't get it. My buddy and I go to a guys house every year for his ribs. They suck. Hard. He boils and then waves them on a gas grill and then smothers them in crappy sauce. My buddy and I were talking about our drums this weekend and this guy happened to be there. He was listening intently to our conversation. I think about a minute in he realized his ribs were crap. I'm not big for ribs, but my buddy's ribs rock. He does an awesome job. So after the guy walked away, we just smiled at each other. We know who's king of the hill. That's all that matters to us.

Honestly, if he brings it up, I'd just mention that you have differing tastes in cooking. If he persists, destroy him. It's just an uncle.

I would have a application form handy for the next comp and hand it to him and tell him if his score beats you you will pay for comp...........

Id have a cooler in the car with 3 or 4 racks ready to go. When he asks how is are you simply say, "wait a minute", and then break out your racks and give everyone a few bones. Instantaneous throwdown!

It makes me mad because the guy tries to make the process of low and slow seem stupid and unnecessary. Which in turn cheapens the hard work I've put into learning how to turn out good quality Q. I don't care how someone cooks their ribs. But don't try to cheapen and make a mockery of how I do it to make yourself look good. Especially when "you" can't produce or replicate the same product.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I am single. Very single currently. Dammit. sort of dammit, I guess.

Personally, I think your wife is asking a lot of you, I don't really understand why she would ask that of you. I can see where she would ask you not to start a fight over it. I would think just saying it is good would suffice and when he says it is as good as yours, just saying 'let's not turn this into some sort of competition' would be good enough.

Then again, I am single.

There's no way to win this one unless you enjoy sleeping on the couch. It's always an option to get sick on Friday night...

This reminds me of my wife's grandmother who insisted that Tony Roma's had the best ribs. At first I'd give her portion of ribs a good headstart in the smoker so they'd fall apart when you tried picking them up with tongs. Then I "forgot" to do that one time and she was converted.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice, don't have any.

Then when asked, you can simply and honestly respond, "I don't know. I haven't had any as I've seemed to have lost my appetite."

Back