Good Ribs / Bad Ribs

fedex

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The Bad 1st:
For alot of reasons I got off to bad start today. Everything seemed rushed and by the time I finally got my 4 Racks of Ribs in the UDS it was already 10:30 am. UDS settled in at 265 and never got above 270 (No Prob). 1:30 pm went out to glaze them and at 2:00pm went out to take them off. I new something was wrong when the first rack i grabed broke in half. Was very careful removing the other three.

What I did wrong:
My wife told me I actually put the Ribs on at 9:45. I always write down on a pad what time I put the meat on the cooker to avoid mess ups like this. This time I did'nt. In my opinion they were the worst Ribs I cooked in years.

The Good:
Everyone at the party (My Wifes work friends) loved them (LOL). Four racks gone in about 20 minutes. But these are people who thought the best ribs they ever ate came from Chilie's. The Office Mgr. even asked me to cater thier next office lunch. Go Figure. The day ended with my PATS losing. Oh well, wait for next year.

glad your ribs worked out.

funny how that works isn't it? it just goes to show how mediocre most restaurants bbq is.

i've produced bitter and chewy ribs and the guests who ate them loved them and said it was the best they've had.

i catered pulled pork for 50 coworkers and i forgot my homemade bbq sauce at home :(
everyone said it was the best pulled pork they've ever had.

but then again, i'm from illinois and the only Q most ppl here eat is from chilis of famous daves.

Isn't it amazing what people like. I did three racks of buffalo ribs, close to perfection and one pan of Pre cooked pork ribs pre sauced from Cahs and Carry. While they loved my ribs they also raved about the ribs from Cash and Carry.

Must have been something about the "Big Game" I was disappointed with my ribs as well.

Sometimes we just get lucky like that. Continue to improve your cooking and you'll keep those guests happy!

Most average non-BBQ folk seem to think and like "fall off the bone" ribs. It has been my experience that they like the ribs to be over cooked (imo) to the point where they can pull all or most of the meat off the bone in one shot.

I don't like them like this at all. I prefer a competition style rib where you bite through the meat and everything stays intact outside of the bite.

Fall off the bone wins again I kinda like fall off the bone also, , guess I'm a non bbq folk

As long as the guests are happy, it's a WIN-WIN!

Glad they worked out for you!

Hey Fedex... Look up the "bend test" for ribs. It's the way I look for doneness with all my ribs. You pick them up by one end and once they start to bend freely and the bark starts to crack as it bends you know it's done. Perfect ribs every time.. Not judging your method just offering up some options! :thumb:

Found some images for comparison:

NOT ready:
IMG_1796.jpg

READY:
How+to+tell+when+ribs+are+done+using+the+bend+test.jpg

Cheers

Isn't it amazing what people like. I did three racks of buffalo ribs, close to perfection and one pan of Pre cooked pork ribs pre sauced from Cahs and Carry. While they loved my ribs they also raved about the ribs from Cash and Carry.

Lots of folks are used to bad BBQ... Guess you can get used to anything.

The Office Mgr. even asked me to cater thier next office lunch. Go Figure.

Here is the delema. If you cater thier next office lunch, do you make the ribs the way you like them or give them fall off the bone (which they seemed to like)?

I don't smoke for competition, but, I myself like fall-off-the-bone, juicy and tender. Not the firmer less tender ribs.

Unfortunately I have not perfected this. Mine still seem too firm for my liking and are close to competition style. :redface:

Fall off the bone wins again I kinda like fall off the bone also, , guess I'm a non bbq folk
I disagree. You like what you like. That does not make you a non BBQ person. It would be real boring if we all liked exactly the same thing. Variety is the spice of life and this site is real spicey.:becky:

If most people like them falling off the bone, wouldn't that make the competition guys the weird ones???

Back