• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cleaning my Spicewine cooking grates.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have tried several different ways to clean them and its always a mess. Today I fired up my gas grill and set a couple on the grill on high. After it burned for a bit I brushed both sides off then put them back in the smoker and put another set on until done.

My weed burner is to hard on them and I don't like the oven cleaner in the plastic bag overnight method. The gas grill wont get as hot as my weed burner but does the job, plus it burns up the excess bit and smells go as well.

Unless I run into some problem with this method I think I have found the best way at least for me to clean them up.
Dave

My Spicewine grates soak over night is water and dish soap.
Then they get brushed off and then hit with the hose.
This work just fine for me.

I dont have a spice wine. But what I did was purchase a plastic storage container a little larger than the overall size of my grates.(they come in all sizes nowadays) I fill the container with hot soapy water near the end of my cook. When I am finished with the grate, I toss it in the water to soak. After soaking, they come clean with a scrub brush. It works good for me.

I don't soak them or spray them, I just power wash the hell out of them when I get around to it. My racks have lasted for 3 years.( So Far )

I use pam on my grills before cooking. That seems to help with claenup.

Besides that I soak em in an old rubbermaid lid for a day or 2 and they come out spotless.

who washes their grates? Thats what gives the meat all the extra special flavor. Ill clean my WSM grates. but on my big offset i power wash em when ever it looks like they need them. before a cook ill hit em with the weed burner and a brush.

Well I just about do the same thing, cause I am lazy and can't afford a power washer. Burning them off on the grill just seams like a good solution for me and it makes for a lot less mess, well same mess just easier to deal with.
Dave

We power wash before comps and try to make them look their best. SOS pads works good for us most of the time.

Drain the water, open the vents and burn out. Then hit with brush. Quick and easy

I power wash at the carwash.. i cant understand the guy that works there but he never looks happy to see me.

I leave my grates until the next cook, heat them a bit, then use half an onion to scrub the remains.

Back