MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Default Food saver and pulled pork!

I have a weekend off and plan on cooking pulled pork, enough to put some up. If I pack in freezer bags with sauce and freeze; should be able to drop in crock pot to reheat and serve later.

With this work well? How long would it keep?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sauce is definitaly an option.... but apple juice or Coca Cola are good reheat liquids too. They add moisture without any tel-tale flavor, and you can always serve the warmed meat with sauce so folks can have it their way. If you have any leftover foil juice that is another great flavor addition to the bags.

I thaw my freezer bags in the fridge overnight, then reheat in a Nesco table top roaster. They get hotter than many crock pots. I use the roasting rack as a weight to keep the pouches from floating. I will fine grind some rub and sprinkle that on as the meat comes out of the bag for a bump in flavor.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome! About how much per 1.5 pound package?
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oh two or three ounces. I put my meat into a shallow square plastic containers, add Coke then put in the freezer until everything sets up. Maybe two hours. Then I pop it out and move into a vacuum bag and seal. This stops the machine from sucking all the juice out.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I simply drop the bag in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes, straight out of the freezer. As far as how long it will keep, I don't think I've ever kept any longer than 3 or 4 mos, and it was still fresh tasting.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I also just drop my bag in boiling water for 10 or 15 minutes. It is just as good as the day ot was frozen. I don't sauce before freezing. I prefer to do that after reheated. I know it will keep for at least a year, probably more. I can't say for sure since I have never kept it that long.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I freeze PP also, usually have about 5 to 10 pounds on hand, you never know. I also just drop it in boiling water until hot and then let everyone add their own sauce.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

We freeze it in family-meal-size portions in ziplock bags. Sometimes with sauce, sometimes without. I defrost it in the microwave and heat it on a cookie sheet in the oven. We always eat it faster, but I don't see why it wouldn't last 9 months to a year in the freezer. 6 months is definitely no problem. I want a vacuum sealer, maybe for Christmas.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

We freeze extra shoulders whole. No vac sealer so we wrap in plastic wrap thoroughly and use freezer bags. Thaw, pull (we always pull cold unless it's going directly to the eater) and reheat however it is appropriate at the time.