MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

Ok then. Go with more fat, finish to a temp instead of feel and you'll have the same problem next time.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
JasonB
Found some matches.

I didn't say I was going to finish to a temp? I said I never WOULD have made it. My mind would have told me I missed the sweet spot and I woulda yanked it.

Now that I am researching more, I will ignore the temp completely.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
SDAR

Name/Nickname : Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
210 ? I would have never made it to 210 lol. I would have panicked for sure and had it off. I really like this style of cooking. Way better than being up all dang night and wore smooth out by the time guest shows up. I am going to practice it again this weekend. I have to cook 500 pounds (roughly 30 briskets) of brisket for our annual VFD fundraiser in less than a month. Would like to have this down by then to use on that cook.
If you want to get it down, go get a cheap flat and do the night train brisket in the oven lesson that Pitmaster T outlines. It will show you the perfect "feel" for finishing a brisket. If you don't want to ruin those 500 lbs of brisket coming up, spend $20 on that cheap flat and get on the night train express!
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
JasonB
Found some matches.

YA, I've got to read up on that thread this evening.

I've been doing the VFD cooking for a few years now. About 10 of us get together and kick it all off around 8PM the night before. We do shifts and have it all sliced/chopped and ready to serve by 5PM the next day. If nothing else, I guess I could stick with the low and slow for that cook until I get this refined.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You didn't cook it long enough! H & F need to go to like 215-225 that is where most of mine are at when they come off. Then at least a min 2 hr rest. I don't use a thermo during the Cook I use the "Cowpoke Therma pen" but I do monitor the temp once it is off the pit I let mine rest until they have coasted down to 150 that takes about 2 hrs.

The Cow Poke Therma pen

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #21
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah my last one, which wasn't all that H or all that F was about 208°. I was pacing around the house, finding anything to do to distract me.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
YA, I've got to read up on that thread this evening.

I've been doing the VFD cooking for a few years now. About 10 of us get together and kick it all off around 8PM the night before. We do shifts and have it all sliced/chopped and ready to serve by 5PM the next day. If nothing else, I guess I could stick with the low and slow for that cook until I get this refined.
personally, i'd stick with low n slow. don't know what you're cooking on, but i would imagine it may be a challenge keeping your cook chamber up around 325*-350* with 30 briskets in it without practicing that.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
JasonB
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
personally, i'd stick with low n slow. don't know what you're cooking on, but i would imagine it may be a challenge keeping your cook chamber up around 325*-350* with 30 briskets in it without practicing that.
Cooking on Ol' Rusty!

SHe's handled 500 pounds of briskets for the last 12 years .

Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

Many hot n fast people use butcher paper, not foil!

A thought on the probing and hot n fast. When cooking hot n fast, it generally takes a higher finishing temp to reach the "probe like butter" feel. So it may not have been quite done yet at 201. And if it didn't probe good at 190, or fall apart at 201, then it was not overcooked. Overcooked flats will fall apart when slicing.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote