• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How NOT to do brisket - Mega Failure!! WARNING - Not for Weak Stomachs!!

Nice save, but sorry about the first part. I'll bet that SUCKED!
I don't think I'd be able to have slept a wink.

So, how much $ did that cost you? I'm assuming that the guy having the party paid for the meats? Did you have to pony up for the tri-tip?

Anyway....thanks for posting. And nice save with the TT.:clap2:

Wow, sorry that happened to you, and those poor briskets- tenderizer is the Devil! :twisted:
The tri-tip looks lovely, though. :thumb:

Man that's a real bummer...I am glad that you were able to salvage the event with the tri-tips :clap2:

Yeah, contemplating the cost part of all that meat is what makes me the sickest. :puke:

Well, briskets were $1.65/lb @ wally world... and it was prolly closer to 100lbs of brisket (average 14lbs each x 7= 98lbs) so that cost about $160... 56lbs of tri-tip at $3.68/lb makes for another $200.... plus the cost of rub, wood, charcoal, injection <--:mad2:

What was the most expensive was the cost of my pride... :tsk:
Here I had to call a friend and tell him that there won't be brisket on the table that afternoon and was tri-tip an acceptable alternative (please say yes, please say yes! :pray:)...

The friend was paying me a few hundred bucks to cook... that turned into less... It was totally my fault, I couldn't ask him to pay for it. Live & learn!

Looks good for Bunswick Stew

Sounds like brisket tacos for the next few months!

NUTZ

Wasn't suitable for anything... I promise you, if you even got the slightest amount of the mushy stuff in a bite, it ruined the whole thing... it was incredibly gross. Wasn't even like the mush had good flavor, really strange.
Reportedly another friend's dogs consumed it all, but I think he might have just been trying to make me feel good that "at least the dogs liked it".

Oh man I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!

Laughing now (kinda), crying and angry then... I really cant convey how horrified I was upon discovering it, especially just hours before folks would be lining up for chow... very little sleep makes thinking & problem solving really difficult.

I heard once that the enzymes that are used as tenderizer (bromelain & papain), work much better/more aggressively at warmer temps and then are deactivated at around 160*... On a steak it wouldn't be a big deal since it's only on the surface and starts warming and then quickly hits 160*. I think the big problem for me was (and in BBQ in general) is that you put a large hunk of meat in a 250* smoker and then it takes the next 8 hours to hit 160*'ish... it has all that time to break down and eventually turns it into expensive dog food...

how do you barf and laugh at the same time ? not easy. good thinking on the tri tip save.

Thanks for the honest sharing! Must of been hard to do so, but that is the first step to recovery.:laugh:

Seriously though.. wow.. what nightmare to work through. Glad you ended up standing on both feet for the better. Also, I learned from you to read packages thoroughly.. even if you think you are safe.

This post is a BBQ equivalent of "BLOOD HIGHWAY" or "ROAD MUTILATIONS." You know the kind of videos they show teens as they begin to drive.. to scare them into doing the right things.:twitch:

CENSORED-1.jpg

wow...nice way to turn around the disaster..that was some quick thinking on your part!

As mentioned several times.... Thanks for the post of your disaster/save. Your lesson is now ours. I've never injected a brisket, but if I ever decide to try it, your experience will definately save me the grief and money!:shocked:

Back