MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
rumbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default serving a toss salad

I am looking for help on how to bid this side. Will be serving 100 people and also would need salad dressings. thanks for any help.

rumbbq
rumbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Toss the salad with a simple vinaigrette and set out on small plates/bowls. Set some cherry tomatoes, onions, and croutons on the side. It will take forever if you let the people serve their own salads, choose their own dressings. Keep it as simple as possible.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
rumbbq

thanks for getting back to me. How much salad do I figure per person or plate. thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

4-5 oz per person was what we've used. If you're buying the bagged lettuce, check the label to see how many servings contained, and do the math. Our "go to" green salad was greens, topped with sliced roma tomatoes (or whole grape tomatoes), sliced red onion, shredded carrots, and sliced mushrooms. Always served italian and ranch dressing. Lo cost, hi value for catering clients.. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

I have made salad in individual 4 ounce plastic containers with lids (from Restaurant Depot). I make containers with different salad dressings and put the salad dressing on the bottom and the salad on top. I had a sign telling everyone to shake the container when ready to eat. Yeah, it's more expensive, but I can portion out the salad and the salad dressing and it moves the line a lot faster. Waiting for people to get their own salad with tongs and pour their own salad dressing slows the line down to a crawl.

That being said, it matters what else you are serving. The more proteins and sides you serve, the smaller the sides can be. I usually make about 12 to 14 pounds of salad for 100 people. I can't help you with price because I don't know what you pay for the ingredients or what you want in the salad. I have charged 60 cents a serving and made a profit. YMMV.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly :boxing:
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
rumbbq

thanks guys these are all great ideas
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

As toymaster stated, making individual and then shaking is a great idea. I helped a friend with his sons wedding, it was outdoor, country themed. We purchased medium sized mason jars and built the salads, dressing in first, a few experiments to get the correct amount for the shake, then built them in the jars, screwed the lids on, put them back in the boxes, in the cooler, ready to go. We did them the day before and when they were served it was like they had just been made. we had 2 wooden step ladders with planks between, set the jars of salad on them in the serving line, they were a huge hit,
Best part was everything in the dishwasher and back in the boxes for another use. After the cost was figured into the first go-round, it is free after that.
I know they have been used atleast 4 times, get paid for them everytime
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
rumbbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderalley3 View Post
As toymaster stated, making individual and then shaking is a great idea. I helped a friend with his sons wedding, it was outdoor, country themed. We purchased medium sized mason jars and built the salads, dressing in first, a few experiments to get the correct amount for the shake, then built them in the jars, screwed the lids on, put them back in the boxes, in the cooler, ready to go. We did them the day before and when they were served it was like they had just been made. we had 2 wooden step ladders with planks between, set the jars of salad on them in the serving line, they were a huge hit,
Best part was everything in the dishwasher and back in the boxes for another use. After the cost was figured into the first go-round, it is free after that.
I know they have been used atleast 4 times, get paid for them everytime
what a great idea.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

What we call a side salad for basic catering, that is it's one of the sides guests put on their plate along with the other sides we use 5lbs iceberg, 2 bell peppers, 1 red onion, 2 cucumbers and 2 -3 cups of cherry tomatoes for 50 guests with a ranch and vinaigrette dressing on the side. If you use separate plates for guests to pile it on you may use more but even when we do a salad bar where guests build their own salad on salad plates it's typically about 5lbs of iceberg per 50 guests.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
rumbbq

thanks for all the information guys.

HBMTN

Do you figure out cost of everything or just set a price per person. Again thanks for all the help.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbbq View Post
thanks for all the information guys.

HBMTN

Do you figure out cost of everything or just set a price per person. Again thanks for all the help.
We cost out everything and get our serving size or per person cost and base pricing on that.